Sandy bridge question

acastro0318

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Hello,
From what ive been reading the sandy bridge cpu offeres integrated graphics built from the ground up. Ive been researching motherboards that have good reviews on sli as well as the 1155 chipset. My question is this, why even get a sandy bridge cpu for gaming if i plan on running sli anyways? Can these be used simultaneously? What is this performance boost everyone is talking about from the sandy bridge? Everyone always explains it with frame rates and numbers. Someone please just break it down and tell me, what will it do for an sli system, is it even worth getting for strictly a gaming computer. I have a ps3 for my blu rays, decoding video is done at night when u go to sleep, so speedy encoding isnt a problem. What will this processor offer me? Would i be better off going with a 1366?

Proposed set up:
2 gtx56o ti in sli
Ram based on reviews and mb
Motherboard based on processor and sli fit for 560 ti
Processor based on the answers i get

acastro0318

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Ok, are there any solutions that can utilize both? Ive read a few articles where 3 way sli allows for a dedicated card strictly for physx. You would think someone would have done the same for integrated graphics.

we1shcake

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
the sandy bridge is a new cpu core design that allowed each core to be more efficient, so a 4 core sandy bridge processor at 3.2ghz is 15% faster than a 3.2ghz lynnfield (the architecture before sandy bridge) despite from the outside looking like they should perform identically

CF/SLI the integrated graphics with the high end dedicated gpu will only makes the performance worse because of the mismatch. For if you are talking about switchable graphics, there is really no need for energy saving in a desktop. For laptop there is optimus to save power. On the other hand, AMD is going fusion which allow power saving and hybrid cf with intergrated graphics and low end dedicated card for better performance.

A sandy bridge "K" cpu is as good as it gets for gaming.
The architecture is more advanced than nehalem(1366), and way better than amd. That gives you more processing power per clock.
The value of the "K" is that it is designed to be overclocked. 4.0 and higher is easy .

For gaming, the graphics configuration is all important.
The integrated graphics is of no value for the gamer.

If your budget for a gaming cpu is around $200, then get a 2500K. Nothing else comes close.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Z68 mobos can use both discrete and on chip GPU at the same time.
For a PhysX card you need a card at least at the level of the GTX 260 or higher for it to be worthwhile. The Intel HD 3000 on the SB chips is no where close to a GTX 260.
It would be like adding a drop of water to a swimming pool and asking if an observer could see the water level go up.

P67 does NOT natively offer x16 x16 .... you need to add an NF200 to accomplish that on SB.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

but... X8/X8 gives little performance loss over 16X/16X. Where you really want the NF200 is if you are running a Tri-SLi rig.

Lambfries

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
If you choose the right motherboard, P8Z68 for example, you can set up the system to distribute graphics processing between the CPU and the discrete GPU. During general use, the Intel graphics in the CPU will process the graphics, and when you are gaming, the GPU will take over. The distribution of the tasks is handled by third party software that usually comes on the motherboard chipset CD.

If done right, you will have a single graphics cable coming from what appears to be the integrated graphics on the motherboard and no cable coming from your discrete GPU.

Lambfries

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
And to answer your question....from my understanding, Sandy Bridge will only help you save electricity because your graphics cards will be shut off when not in use. If you choose not to use a Sandy Bridge processor, your GPUs will be running all the time.

Your confusing MoBo chipsets and CPU's. Here's a Breakdown of the various chipsets on the SB platform:

http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/difference-between-h67-p67-z68-and-h61-chipsets-a-22.html

1155 has the advantage in gaming over 1366, except when ya get to 3 way SLI .... SB trumps the advantage however on boards equipped with the NF200 chip.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p67-gaming-3-way-sli-three-card-crossfire,2910-17.html

While the NF200 doesn’t completely solve the dearth of PCIe lanes available on LGA 1155 platforms, its ability to send identical data to multiple cards makes it perfect for SLI and CrossFire. That benefit, when combined with the Sandy Bridge processor’s superior performance and overclocking capabilities, slams the lid on the coffin for X58 gaming. Anyone who needs the added flexibility of X58 to host other devices, such as high-end drive controllers or six-core processors in a workstation environment, must bow to the gaming superiority of NF200-equiped Sandy Bridge motherboards like Asus' P8P67 WS Revolution.

Depending on ya budget .... if ya want the best 2 way SLI performance possible w/ twin GTX 560's:

x16 x16 Mobo i.e. Asus WS Revolution ..... prolly litttle to no advantage with GFX cards < $200 however.
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3795/asus_p8p67_ws_revolution_intel_p67_express_motherboard/index.html

i5-2500k OC's to 4.8 Ghz (i7-2600k if also doing any apps that benefit from HT)

900MHz 560 Ti (OC to 1000MHz)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121425

RAM - DDR3-1600 2 x 4GB is good enough ..... lower CAS and higher frequency provides slight boost, not so much in avg fps but in min fps.

In average fps, not so much in "most" games..... but some games it does .... THG article quoted above showed 10% average FPS for STALKER ....spending $20 for the NF200 o a $2k box.....10% is nice return for 1% cost increase.

Like fast RAM however, where the impact is most notable is in minimum fps.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

True Dat... There is always an exception to the rule