Sandy Bridge RAM - any advice?

junaid96

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Hi,

I'm about to build a Sandy Bridge build (2500K) and I'm trying to choose my RAM.

I'll be using the Asrock P67 EXTREME4 V3 mobo (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/261255) and here is the link to the supported memory: http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory.asp?Model=P67%20Extreme4

Basically, it mentions this ram => KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX but I notice it isn't the new HyperX Genesis which is supposed to be for Sandy Bridge. It is also 1.65V, which apparently is too high for Sandy Bridge - yet it's still on the mobo recommended Ram list??

What do you reckon? Is this Ram going to be OK, or is there anything else I should go for. There's also F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 G.Skill RAM on the list - would it be a better option?

My RAM budget is around 45-50 quid btw.

Thanks

As I mentioned, the 1.25v F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 should be fine. You'll need to either set the RAM manually i.e. DRAM Voltage or use XMP to insure 1.25v is being properly supplied to the DIMM slots/RAM. The current default is 1.50v.

I KNOW RAM & etc is heading towards <1.0v, and the Ivy Bridge and smaller lithography (nm) CPU, IC's, etc are on the horizon. The current Sandy Bridge and P67/Z68's are all geared towards 1.50v DIMM voltage.

I KNOW 1.25v or 1.35v RAM aren't compatible with current AMD, but I know it is 'okay' with LGA 1155. Part of the initial technology trade-off with small nm/low voltage RAM is that it's a little slower.

The QVL for memory is simply memory that the manufacturer has tested and works on the board. It doesn't say anything about long-term usage or problems that might happen.

1.5v is the recommended RAM voltage for Sandy Bridge.

Can you use 1.65v RAM? Yes, but there is increased chance of blowing up your CPU. If you do blow up your CPU and Intel finds out you were using 1.65v RAM, your warranty is void.

Can you use 1.25v or 1.35v RAM? Yes. Is there any advantage to using it? No. Is there any disadvantage to using it? No.

I recommend these types:
Corsair Vengeance
Corsair Vengeance LP (1.35v or 1.5v version)
G.Skill Ripjaws
G.Skill Ripjaws X
G.Skill Sniper (1.25v or 1.5v version)