Sandy Bridge vs Phenom II x4 build

jorn978

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Alright, if any of you guys remember my last post i had a very slow pc bottlenecking my GPU, SO! I'm gonna build my first gaming pc (yay! XD)

My question is i want the best performance per dollar and noticed the new Sandy Bridge 2500k supposedly OC's to 4.6 ghz on air, needless to say i drooled.

But my question is, is it worth the extra money? Should i go with a phenom II x4 755BE instead? or are both of these CPU's bad choices?

Any comments are appreciated,

P.S. I don't whether i use intel or amd as long as it works well and the mobo can SLI

jorn978

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Well, I already have a GPU so i was hoping to build something around 600$ Im still using a CRT monitor so...... XD wanna have some money left over in case i want to get a new monitor

To be honest, nothing current will touch Sandy Bridge. But when it releases, Phenom II will drop in price and look very good. Only problem is AM3 is dead as far as an upgrade path so you are stuck with Phenon II X6 and would have to upgrade your whole system to get anything better CPU wise.

While LGA1155 has a chance of supporting Intels 22nm next year.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished

^+1

jorn978

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Well, I don't really upgrade my pc a lot (or at all :p) so anything i can use without upgrading for a very long time would be awesome

Starting to learn towards Sandy Bridge, by the way is there any set release date yet? i think its either coming tomorrow or sunday.

rambostyrer

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
wait for Sandy Bridge, or a am3+ socket motherboard. The Phenom II will soon be a thing of the past.

thats what I would do, but wwhat else do you need for your new build?? any parts (Case, ram, dvdburner etc) can be reused??

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
Well if you can wait then wait but i think it would be ok if you only want gaming..It wont be a great system in comparison to the to the SB.
I am still with the amd athlonII X4 and i still can play games and having a fun time with the games..The problem is that when it starts cluttering the harddrive you are going to have a slow system but in the best of your interest wait for bulldozer..
Much better to wait for bulldozer..

AMD X4 cpu is great for $500-$700 rigs, emphasis on GPU at decent resolutions, 1080P or above....

But they are usually at a slight framerate disadvantage with any i5/i7 quad core Intel rig, although the higher the resolution, the less noticeable the disadvantage....

jorn978

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Well,right now im using an old gateway e-6610d cant OC and its an old BTX form factor. specs are

core 2 duo 1.86ghz
4gb DDR1 memory
Asus gts 450 top (this is what im building my rig around think ill try to sli two)
160gb hard drive
400w PSU

yeah.... im not too picky and id rather not wait for bulldozer :p

EDIT: as you can see its old, so the old things i could re use would be the hard drive and the GPU (of course). So ill need just about everything else.

The 1 thing AMD still have going for them is you can get a AM3 board for around $40 while sandybridge ones are likely to be at least $100 more and a Phenom 955Be is at least $50 cheaper than a 2500K (the one to get on sandy bridge) and is as good as most gamers need. That said its hard to pass up the 2500K as when overclocked I think it beats anythying else on the market. If your budget is lower than the 955BE AMD offers a great choice of athlon & Phenom x3s which are still great for gaming and alot cheaper.

jorn978

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Actually, the 955BE was the amd processor i was looking at :p either that or the 940 since i plan on OCing i think they would be pretty similar, im kinda scared of using a AM2+ processor though.

Here to hoping the 955BE prices drop! :D

I couldn't agree more. Just because SB will be the undisputed performance winner doesn't mean that all those Athlon II X3 and Phenom II X4 machines out there will suddenly slow to a crawl and become unable to run all the games they've been handling with ease up until now. Most games are more dependent on the GPU.
One thing to consider though, if you are determined to re-use your GTS450 and may want to add another for SLI, Intel systems run SLI a lot better than AMD. I don't know whether or not that is true of Crossfire.
You might fit a single HD6850 into your $600 budget, IF you build AMD.

jorn978

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Actually Psycho you just about gave me all the info i was looking for :p, and bean i would rather stick with the gts 450 since mine was a Christmas present from my parents (im only 16 and lost my job due to the company I worked for going out of buisness :p aka the budget, and yes im paying for this myself not my parents)

Also if i make a build cheap enough i might be able to buy something better than my old crt monitor :p thanks for all the replies BTW

2500K : 229.99
P67 UD4 : 150
4GB DDR3 1600 : 49.99

Total : 429.98

AMD X4: 100
770DE: 60
4GB DDR3 1333: 42

Total: 202

So, if your monitor's refresh rate is 60Hz, you will get nearly identical visual performance for $227 LESS if you buy AMD. //TILT//

Of course, what that chart does not show is minimum frame rates. They will also be different, and presumably lower with AMD, so you WILL see a difference. Will it matter to you? Is it worth $227 (plus extortion)? Only you can say. On a tight budget, I'd say it's not worth it.
No one is suggesting SB won't offer outstanding performance. There are, however, considerably less expensive alternatives that absolutely are "good enough."

Edit: And that $227 will buy a decent 22" 1920x1080 monitor.

jorn978

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Yeah, newegg is one of my favorite places, nice and cheap with good service, also id prefer buying new since open box is a bit of a gamble.

Well, I think its more of a waiting game now, I think that if the AMD CPUs go down in price quite a bit (like say the 955BE going from 150 to 100) then ill go that route otherwise its looking like SB

I'd be real careful of open box deals. They may be missing the I/O plate, drive cables, and/or driver CDs. Yes, they can be replaced or downloaded, but it does take the sweetness off any low price. Also, you don't want an AM2+ board, ESPECIALLY a nForce chipset, as those often run at only 1000MT/s or 2000MT/s. A brand new ASRock 770DE is only $60, and runs quite well.

Edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157176

jorn978

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010

I hear thats an awesome mobo but i was looking for something that can SLI