Sanely-Priced Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
I don’t get why they designed Mini DisplayPort for notebook when DisplayPort is already tiny compares with D-SUB and DVI. On cameras yet but not on notebook.

aapocketz

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
I still think the length of the displayport would mean more wasted space, even though its small. The longer rectangular shape makes sense when you have USB and you may want to stack 2 on top of each other, making a more of a "golden rectangle" profile.

My problem with displayport is what does it really buy anyone more than the widely accepted HDMI standard other than confusion? HDMI was backwards compatible with DVI video which was nice. Displayport needs to be tossed. I think people will just eventually upgrade to USB3 which I believe supports video displays as well as the kind of devices USB currently supports.

awolfe63

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
DisplayPort to Dual-linkDVI is hard. It requires translator circuits. There are no cheap solutions on the market. In fact, it is hard to find any other solution for sale. DisplayPort to HDMI or single-link DVI is a simple cable between two connectors - much cheaper but won't run a 30" display.

dyingcat

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
[citation][nom]aapocketz[/nom][/citation]
I think I read somewhere that you have to pay licensing fee for HDMI, where it is free to put Display Port..or something like that,

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Display port has little over HDMI (30-bit color, big whoop), and HDMI has the market. Give it up, display port may have had some benefits, but it lost. Use HDMI, and maybe you'll get lucky next time.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I think I read somewhere that you have to pay licensing fee for HDMI, where it is free to put Display Port..or something like that,
Yes, Display port can be used Royalty free, there is no one you need to pay, or any licensing to acquire in order to use Display ports in products.

miltoxbeyond

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
With all the money they charge on macs in the first place you'd think the small fees they'd be paying for HDMI would have about as much effect on their profits as a kick has on an elephant...

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I look at DisplayPort today kind of like BluRay (or maybe HD-DVD) in 2006. It's 'cool' and cutting edge, but it's not the standard everyone else is using (HDMI.) One day it may be a great idea if the 30-bit color thing catches on.

For now, I'll stick with my HDMI cable to connect my BluRay player to my 60" HDTV and someone else can buy the laptops requiring the $99 converter cables for their system.

BarryAllen

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
This article contains several errors.

Firstly, Apple's mini-DVI to DVI cable is $19, not $29 as stated in the article.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9321G/B?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

The Mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter, however, is $29. As of this writing, it is not available from third parties at all, let alone for cheaper.

The $99 Mini-Displayport to Dual-Link DVI adapter is only necessary if you're hooking a new MB or MBP up to a monitor with resolution greater than 1920x1200, like the 30" monitors from Apple or Dell, which have resolutions of 2560x1600. Chances are, if you're willing to spend $1799 for a monitor, an extra hundred will not hurt you too much.

Currently, If you're hooking up your new MB or MBP to an HDTV, you don't need the Dual Link adapter for $99, you need a mini-DP to DVI adapter for $29, as well as a DVI to HDMI cable.

Finally, before everyone gets too bent out of shape, they should read this article:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/the_myth_of_an_hdmi_displayport_standoff

G

Displayport (and mini-displayport) is a VESA standard and HDMI is not. The reason that Displayport came about is not due to Apple primarily but due to the video home electronic manufactures not wanting to pay royalties for HDMI. So blame Sony, Toshiba, Samsung, Dell, LG, etc for Displayport. Although it seems to be ubiquitous today, HDMI's lifespan will be short. Manufactures want to control the video standard through membership in VESA and not be tied to a proprietary connector with royalties forever. Mini-Displayport is just a smaller (and better thought out - IMHO) physical connector than the VESA DP standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.