News Sanwa Supply releases USB foot pedals that let you type with your feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazyy8

Prominent
Sep 22, 2023
Budget pedals for a budget sim rig. Sure, it only has on and off, but you got all you need: power, brake, and clutch.

Findecanor

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
I'm pretty sure that this exact product has been on the market for quite a few years already.

BTW. There are also special foot-pedals available as an accessory to the Kinesis Advantage ergonomic keyboard. It has a special port for Kinesis' foot pedals.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
BTW. There are also special foot-pedals available as an accessory to the Kinesis Advantage ergonomic keyboard. It has a special port for Kinesis' foot pedals.
I've used Kinesis keyboards with foot pedals. I don't any more, but it was neat to use for modifier keys, like shift and ctrl. If you use those keys a lot, it might be worthwhile for you.

A funny thing I noticed is that my foot would be reaching for these pedals, even when I was sitting at a machine that didn't have them. Muscle memory is strong, apparently.

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
I always wanted one of these for games.
I really hate when a dev decides to be fancy with their game and has jump, sprint, crouch, dodge, and a crouch+dodge=slide dodge as vital parts of gameplay, but forgets that the human hand doesn't have 7 fingers.

yes, I am looking at you fatshark and darktide, although you are not the only one.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
As a paraplegic I obviously won't have much use for these. Now give me a head-butt keyboard for typing those frustrating moments and I am all in. Take my money now please.
bang-head-keyboard-computer-signage-cu8r7s8j7sc67nt2.webp

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user
The question I have is: What's wrong with mice with thumbpads in the workplace, like the Logitech G600? Plenty of buttons for modifier key combos (control, shift, control+shift), and macros, and doesn't take up under desk space.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
The question I have is: What's wrong with mice with thumbpads in the workplace, like the Logitech G600? Plenty of buttons for modifier key combos (control, shift, control+shift), and macros, and doesn't take up under desk space.
In the example I gave, the benefit of foot pedals was that I didn't have to move my hands from the home row, like I would with a mouse. In fact, to move my hand from the keyboard to a mouse would be way more effort than just hitting the ctrl or shift key. If you're doing a lot of typing, being able to keep your hands over the letters is a substantial benefit of using foot pedals.

Last edited:

Findecanor

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
Arguments I've heard against them include that they are difficult to distinguish, require high dexterity and you risk having them in the way of gripping.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Arguments I've heard against them include that they are difficult to distinguish, require high dexterity and you risk having them in the way of gripping.
5 years ago, I actually bought a gaming mouse and took it into the office. Not for the first time, either. The main reason being higher quality buttons that don't get flaky, after a while. Better resolution and higher sampling rate are also nice benefits, but more subtle.

For me, the main downside is when I accidentally hit a button on the mouse that changes the sensitivity or is mapped to some function or key and I don't use it enough to remember which. Worse, our corporate IT policy prevents me from installing the software I'd need to customize the button mappings or other settings, so I'm basically stuck with it as-is.

Status
Not open for further replies.