Sanyo Donkey Kong Monitor Help Please

When I power up the DK (bought nonworking), I get a white line
vertically in the center of the monitor. Game plays blind. So I
ordered a cap kit and installed it. Reinstalled the monitor, and no
change. Still has the vertical line running from the control panel to
the marquee. Flipping the service switch makes no difference (I
powered off, flipped the switch, power on).
I have read older topics on this subject. They seem to point towards
replacing TR402 and TR403. I will be able to try that later this week.

In the meantime, is there anything else I can check while waiting for
these two transistors to arrive?
Thanks for the help.
jim

it the transistors. You may try to resolder the existing ones
:eek:)
Rick

"jimmyjet" <jimvisser@kentisd.org> wrote in message
> When I power up the DK (bought nonworking), I get a white line
> vertically in the center of the monitor. Game plays blind. So I
> ordered a cap kit and installed it. Reinstalled the monitor, and no
> change. Still has the vertical line running from the control panel to
> the marquee. Flipping the service switch makes no difference (I
> powered off, flipped the switch, power on).
> I have read older topics on this subject. They seem to point towards
> replacing TR402 and TR403. I will be able to try that later this week.
>
> In the meantime, is there anything else I can check while waiting for
> these two transistors to arrive?
> Thanks for the help.
> jim

Tom

As jimmyjet so eloquently stated:

> When I power up the DK (bought nonworking), I get a white line
> vertically in the center of the monitor. Game plays blind. So I
> ordered a cap kit and installed it. Reinstalled the monitor, and no
> change. Still has the vertical line running from the control panel to
> the marquee. Flipping the service switch makes no difference (I
> powered off, flipped the switch, power on).
> I have read older topics on this subject. They seem to point towards
> replacing TR402 and TR403. I will be able to try that later this week.
>
> In the meantime, is there anything else I can check while waiting for
> these two transistors to arrive?
> Thanks for the help.
> jim

It IS one of those transistors. Nothing else to check or test. It's called
horizontal collapse. Replace the horizontal output transistor and you
should be good to go.

--
Tom

"That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest."
-Henry Thoreau

"The original point and click interface is a Smith and Wesson"

Update:
I found both transistors and replaced them both. No change. Still a
vertical line. I tried both monitor service switch settings.
I need more ideas or things to check please. Different transistors to
replace?
Thanks for the help.
jim

Tom wrote:
> It IS one of those transistors. Nothing else to check or test. It's
called
> horizontal collapse. Replace the horizontal output transistor and you

> should be good to go.
>
> --
> Tom

Tom

As jimmyjet so eloquently stated:

> Thanks for the help with this monitor. I will purchase a replacement
> tr401 tomorrow and give it a try. Anything else I should buy while I
> am at the electronics store? I would rather not pull this chassis out
> again. It is a pain.
> I appreciate the help.
> jim

Well...I could give you the standard answer: Might be an open resistor or a
dry cap. ;)

It's just that what you describe sounds like it has a bad vertical output
transistor. I was looking at the schems and it shows the TR401 before the
TR402/403. So, logically, it would be the next component I would check.

Didn't you say you've already capped this monitor?

--
Tom

"That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest."
-Henry Thoreau

"The original point and click interface is a Smith and Wesson"

TR401 is now replaced. I also pulled and checked R414, R415, R423,
D401, D403, and replaced the vsize pot. No change.
I checked the tube impedance: 2 ohms (red/blue) and 55 ohms
(yellow/green). Are those values close to what they should be?
Thanks again.