Sanyo SCP-8100 USB data cable

I recently purchased the Sanyo SCP-8100 phone to replace my Samsung
a460. So far so good but I need to be able to do the following:

-copy pictures from the camera directly to my laptop
-sync the address book to my laptop
-use the phone as a modem that my laptop can use while I'm on the road

I purchased the USB Data Cable/Sync Cable from sanyo.com but it didn't
come with any software. I sent Sanyo an e-mail request for support,
they referred me to SprintPCS. I just called sprint and was told "we
don't support use of the data cable". When I asked whom to call, they
said, "call the people you bought it from".

So Sanyo says to call Sprint and Sprint says to call Sanyo. No one
seems to know what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

To use it as a modem you just need the driver, the driver (free) and the
software (34.95) can be had from here:
http://www.susteen.com/index.htm

In article <a8aaf8125d175748469b7b9fd92eba71@news.teranews.com>,
"Peterbilt" <amazon-bitch@NO-SPAMeudoramail.com> wrote:

> So Sanyo says to call Sprint and Sprint says to call Sanyo. No one
> seems to know what to do.

And then folks wonder why SprintPCS Customer Service is rated worst.

"Robert M." wrote:

> In article <a8aaf8125d175748469b7b9fd92eba71@news.teranews.com>,
> "Peterbilt" <amazon-bitch@NO-SPAMeudoramail.com> wrote:
>
> > So Sanyo says to call Sprint and Sprint says to call Sanyo. No one
> > seems to know what to do.
>
> And then folks wonder why SprintPCS Customer Service is rated worst.

You don't miss a chance, do you?

Jeez, you're an irritant.

Larry

afsinclair@optonline.net (Andrew S.) wrote in message news:<5bacf343.0404281258.324cbf5e@posting.google.com>...

> I purchased the USB Data Cable/Sync Cable from sanyo.com but it didn't
> come with any software. I sent Sanyo an e-mail request for support,
> they referred me to SprintPCS. I just called sprint and was told "we
> don't support use of the data cable". When I asked whom to call, they
> said, "call the people you bought it from".
>
> So Sanyo says to call Sprint and Sprint says to call Sanyo. No one
> seems to know what to do.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Sanyo is the one selling it, so Sanyo is the one who says it works,
not Sprint. You should call Sanyo for support on the cable, but you
need to call the people you bought the software from for support on
that.

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-1142AD.22161128042004@news04.east.earthlink.net>...
> In article <a8aaf8125d175748469b7b9fd92eba71@news.teranews.com>,
> "Peterbilt" <amazon-bitch@NO-SPAMeudoramail.com> wrote:
>
> > So Sanyo says to call Sprint and Sprint says to call Sanyo. No one
> > seems to know what to do.
>
> And then folks wonder why SprintPCS Customer Service is rated worst.

So what you're saying is, it's a fault of Sprint's because they won't
support a product that they don't sell?

In article <40907DBA.5AF37331@spamcop.net>,
Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:

> "Robert M." wrote:
> >
> > In article <a8aaf8125d175748469b7b9fd92eba71@news.teranews.com>,
> > "Peterbilt" <amazon-bitch@NO-SPAMeudoramail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > So Sanyo says to call Sprint and Sprint says to call Sanyo. No one
> > > seems to know what to do.
> >
> > And then folks wonder why SprintPCS Customer Service is rated worst.
>
> You don't miss a chance, do you?
>
> Jeez, you're an irritant.

Well if SprintPCS has a consistant policy of data usage by
cell phones as modems,
their customers wouldn't be irritated.

And it remains the TRUTH because of issues like that that:

> In article <40907DBA.5AF37331@spamcop.net>,
> Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
> > "Robert M." wrote:

> > > And then folks wonder why SprintPCS Customer Service is rated worst.
> >
> > You don't miss a chance, do you?
> >
> > Jeez, you're an irritant.
>
> Well if SprintPCS has a consistant policy of data usage by
> cell phones as modems,
> their customers wouldn't be irritated.
>

> And it remains the TRUTH because of issues like that that:
>
> SprintPCS Customer Service is rated worst.

And I still say that they aren't, as those were definitely non-precise
polls. As to SPCS, it's specifically said in the TOS, they don't support
data cables tethered from the phone to a computer. SPCS didn't sell the
cable, Sanyo did.

Bob

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message
> In article <a8aaf8125d175748469b7b9fd92eba71@news.teranews.com>,
> "Peterbilt" <amazon-bitch@NO-SPAMeudoramail.com> wrote:
>
> > So Sanyo says to call Sprint and Sprint says to call Sanyo. No one
> > seems to know what to do.
>
> And then folks wonder why SprintPCS Customer Service is rated worst.

This has no relation or reflection on Sprint's customer service. If Sprint
does not support such a scenario as an official policy, then the customer
should be rightly told so.

In article <hh7kc.14755$gH6.8350@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"DavyDE" <DavyDE@NYC.ny> wrote:

> This has no relation or reflection on Sprint's customer service.

Of course it does. If they won't give helpful information it absolutely
reflects poorly.

> If Sprint
> does not support such a scenario as an official policy, then the customer
> should be rightly told so.

I agree. Sprint doesn't. Many SprintPCS employees (Here and in stores)
say words to the effect that:

"Officially we don't support it, but its OK" {Using a cell phone as a
modem}, "Just have Vision on your account, and dial #777"

In article <7e761144.0404290526.af5483f@posting.google.com>,
pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:

> So what you're saying is, it's a fault of Sprint's because they won't
> support a product that they don't sell?

But you do support it, with a wink-wink, nudge-nudge; and whatever else
it takes to sell a phone.

"Just have Vision, and dial #777, and don't over use it" is what is
commonly said.

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-C5CCEE.08304229042004@news04.east.earthlink.net>...
> In article <7e761144.0404290526.af5483f@posting.google.com>,
> pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:
>
> > So what you're saying is, it's a fault of Sprint's because they won't
> > support a product that they don't sell?
>
> But you do support it, with a wink-wink, nudge-nudge; and whatever else
> it takes to sell a phone.
>
> "Just have Vision, and dial #777, and don't over use it" is what is
> commonly said.

And reps who are caught saying that are either put on corrective action or fired.

Doesn't sound like a "wink-wink / nidge-nudge" policy.

(ANd yes, I've known people who were caught doing this)

Ya know what? I'm just sick of your constant negative responses to people
trying to assist those people that need assistance. I would like to
introduce you to my PLONK list. I really do feel sorry for you that you have
nothing nice to say about anything. By the way, if I see your posts again
(not hard to know it's you) I'll just PLONK you without responding. I
suggest other people here do the same. That's the only way to rid a troll
from YOUR group.

--
alt.binaries.penthouse FAQ

To view our current FAQ, model list and other helpful FAQs please visit our
site at:

http://www.geocities.com/penthousegroup

In article <4513a3aca7253f1a51cd46af896e5c32@news.teranews.com>,
"Peterbilt" <amazon-bitch@NO-SPAMeudoramail.com> wrote:

> Ya know what? I'm just sick of your constant negative responses to people
> trying to assist those people that need assistance. I would like to
> introduce you to my PLONK list. I really do feel sorry for you that you have
> nothing nice to say about anything. By the way, if I see your posts again
> (not hard to know it's you) I'll just PLONK you without responding. I
> suggest other people here do the same. That's the only way to rid a troll
> from YOUR group.

I know, you want a happy newsgroup with folks only saying Good things
about SprintPCS, even if they have to LIE to say them.

afsinclair@optonline.net (Andrew S.) wrote in message news:<5bacf343.0404281258.324cbf5e@posting.google.com>...
> > Any help would be appreciated.

If I am not wrong, the software is available on the sprint site; Yu
have to log in, then go to phone details--at least on my page there is
a software area there--I believe you use the one for x/p--there are so
many, and I haven;t check out each one--but this appear to be where I
found it.

pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote in message news:<7e761144.0404290524.10cf4a0a@posting.google.com>...
> afsinclair@optonline.net (Andrew S.) wrote in message news:<5bacf343.0404281258.324cbf5e@posting.google.com>...

> Sanyo is the one selling it, so Sanyo is the one who says it works,
> not Sprint. You should call Sanyo for support on the cable, but you
> need to call the people you bought the software from for support on
> that.

Does not sanyo design, produce, etc, etc, these phones at the specific
request and most likely specifitcations of sprint. I happened to be
in a sprint store in late 2002; till that day I couldn't figure out a
reson to pay ,the then $10 for the vision, and since I had both sprint
and verizon (still do) I had given serious thought to eliminating one
line, probably the sprint line, as verizon to some extent was the more
used line---

The rep mentioned the tethered laptop thing in an off hand way--I
immdiately signed up; and this has glued me to sprint since then.

In some distant posts, there were references to the fact that veision
at that time was not being used to anywhere near capacity ( is it
now?) and if you think about it, vision by itself is not worth much,
at least to me, but combine it with the ability to check email, or use
it for light surfing is a big plus--sprint takes in the now $15/month
and it secures a group of very loyal users, who post endless articles
about it; and this type of thing feeds on itself; we forum types, are
just the ones who like to think we are beating the system, etc, etc--

Do you all think this is an accident, or has it really been planned by
the thinkers at sprint to hook us to their system--because to me, it
keeps me with sprint, everything else being even.

comments?

So, am I right is guessing that if you don't have Vison and you use your
phone as a modem with the USB cable, even though you pay for data usage (I
think it's .35 per minute) you can loose your service? Please correct me if
I'm wrong here. I just don't know because I've never had the need yet to do
it. I just want to know what will happen if I do use it as a modem. I don't
have Vison, just the basic 300AT and UL N&W.

In article <7e761144.0404291807.487c86ef@posting.google.com>,
pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:

> "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message
> > In article <7e761144.0404290526.af5483f@posting.google.com>,
> > pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:
> >
> > > So what you're saying is, it's a fault of Sprint's because they won't
> > > support a product that they don't sell?
> >
> > But you do support it, with a wink-wink, nudge-nudge; and whatever else
> > it takes to sell a phone.
> >
> > "Just have Vision, and dial #777, and don't over use it" is what is
> > commonly said.
>
> And reps who are caught saying that are either put on corrective action or
> fired.

(at the discretion of their manager - wink-wink).

Its another policy not enforced.

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-31CBBC.05014130042004@news04.east.earthlink.net>...
> In article <7e761144.0404291807.487c86ef@posting.google.com>,
> pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:
>
> > "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message

> > > But you do support it, with a wink-wink, nudge-nudge; and whatever else
> > > it takes to sell a phone.
> > >
> > > "Just have Vision, and dial #777, and don't over use it" is what is
> > > commonly said.
> >
> > And reps who are caught saying that are either put on corrective action or
> > fired.
>
> (at the discretion of their manager - wink-wink).
>
> Its another policy not enforced.

Go ask the employees who are cashing in their unemployment checks if
it's enforced.

Go ask the employees who are on a final written, who cannot be
promoted or get a pay increase for at least 6 months if it's not
enforced.

"Peterbilt" <amazon-bitch@NO-SPAMeudoramail.com> wrote in message
> So, am I right is guessing that if you don't have Vison and you use your
> phone as a modem with the USB cable, even though you pay for data usage (I
> think it's .35 per minute) you can loose your service? Please correct me
if
> I'm wrong here. I just don't know because I've never had the need yet to
do
> it. I just want to know what will happen if I do use it as a modem. I
don't
> have Vison, just the basic 300AT and UL N&W.

No ... you pay by the kb, $0.01/kb. Sanyo Vision phones can't dial any
number to access the web while tethered to the laptop, save to Vision, via
the #777 DUN.

If one was trying to access the web on a non Vision phone, and dialed into a
ISP dial up, or to a fax number, the cost would be $0.39/minute.

Bob

In article <68a9acb2.0404300625.37f601ae@posting.google.com>,
plane@usa.com (plane) wrote:

> afsinclair@optonline.net (Andrew S.) wrote in message
> > > Any help would be appreciated.
>
> If I am not wrong, the software is available on the sprint site; Yu
> have to log in, then go to phone details--at least on my page there is
> a software area there--I believe you use the one for x/p--there are so
> many, and I haven;t check out each one--but this appear to be where I
> found it.

I went to check that out and found:

Temporarily Unavailable

We are very sorry, but the systems required to access your account
information are currently unavailable. Unfortunately, this outage also
temporarily prevents a representative from accessing your information.
We regret any inconvenience this causes. Please try again later, and
thank you for choosing PCS Service from Sprint.

Convergys strikes again !!

In article <7e761144.0404300733.14618fa8@posting.google.com>,
pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:

> Go ask the employees who are cashing in their unemployment checks if
> it's enforced.
>
> Go ask the employees who are on a final written, who cannot be
> promoted or get a pay increase for at least 6 months if it's not
> enforced.

Anyone who posts here?

So, let's take this into a real world situation for me. I have the Sanyo
RL2000 right now and since I don't have Vision and am on Road Runner I could
link the laptop with the phone via the USB cable then dial out to Road
Runner using their (RR) dial-up connection and pay .39 per minute without
incurring any extra charges per kb? Is that it? (or I could substitute a fax
# for Road Runner)