Question Saphire 7700 nitro+ 1080p144hz vs 1440p165hz

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
6 months ago, I bought this gpu which is incredibly strong!
@1080p144hz I can throw anything at it and it'll play at max settings for the next 5 years.
But I was wondering if I could do the same with it @1440p for the next 5 years? Or could it be that I need to step down to 1080p at one point?
Will this increase the power draw as well then?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think it can push all games to 1440p 165 FPS today. No such thing as a future proof GPU either. When it no longer plays the games you want at the settings you want, you upgrade it. Up to you if it can make 5 years or not.

Not sure about 1080p for the next five years either. That would fall within the next console update cycle and the chances are very good that they will easily exceed the capabilities of a 7700 XT. (PS5 is currently an RX 5700 equivalent) If we go by convention they will start producing dev kits for the new consoles within the next three years and that means they will likely contain the follow up to the RX 8000/9000 series that is about to be launched.

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
I don't think it can push all games to 1440p 165 FPS today. No such thing as a future proof GPU either. When it no longer plays the games you want at the settings you want, you upgrade it. Up to you if it can make 5 years or not.

Not sure about 1080p for the next five years either. That would fall within the next console update cycle and the chances are very good that they will easily exceed the capabilities of a 7700 XT. (PS5 is currently an RX 5700 equivalent) If we go by convention they will start producing dev kits for the new consoles within the next three years and that means they will likely contain the follow up to the RX 8000/9000 series that is about to be launched.
I usually upgrade every 5 for gpu's. For cpu's that might be even longer. I'm quiet pleased with sapphire nitro+. Its the best gpu I ever had. I just hope I didn't make a mistake by taking the 7700xt instead of the 7800xt.

I also look at energy labels. My monitor now might be TN panel but has label A. And it served me very well up untill now.
Just wondering if it was worth going to 1440p if I'm more off a long runner that thinks about energy consumption...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on if you set a frame limit or not. You can use that GPU at 100% today if you wanted.

If energy efficiency was the goal, you should have gotten the bigger GPU and set a lower power limit. That generally gets the job done more efficiently than a smaller card running near its top end.

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Depends on if you set a frame limit or not. You can use that GPU at 100% today if you wanted.

If energy efficiency was the goal, you should have gotten the bigger GPU and set a lower power limit. That generally gets the job done more efficiently than a smaller card running near its top end.
So yea I made the mistake then. Oh well, nothing to do about it now. Can't sell the card for that amount of money. It's been used too many times...
This is why I stay 1080p. I can also lock the FPS at a certain point and make the card more efficient. Though, the card might need more power in some games like Forbidden West but that's normal.
And I don't see alot of differences in 1440p not enough to change for that matter...