Saphire AT HD 4830 - What does the red light indicate

badomen

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Turned my PC on to find nothing happened. Looking at the card, there is a red led on the bottom that has come on (bottom meaning the side without the giant fan)

What is this ment to indicate? I looked at the manual and it doesnt mention anything about it. The PC starts but the gpu doesnt. I checked the connection to the board and power supply and they seem fine.

Any help?

badomen

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Nah both are plugged in 200% sure

I took the card out and re-seated it and still nothing..

The PSU is fairly new, i tried swiching the 6-pin power with another see if that worked but no luck.

there is a number above the led (di601), and the led only comes on when i power up so its some sort of diag led but i cant find out what

Edit1:A quick google of this # brings up a post on here for the 4850, i will try resetting the bios but my card is not overclocked
Edit2: No dice, still red lighting me

OK. From the start: Is this a new card or one you have just installed?
If a new card: Which PSU do you have? The 4830 is hardly a power guzzling deamon but it still needs to be fed and perhaps the powersupply is not up to it (unlikely).
That led ( D601) shows a core power fault and may indicate a dead card:(
Either: Try the card in another system or try another card in yours. Or both if you can.

badomen

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
OK. From the start: Is this a new card or one you have just installed?
Nah old card; turned pc on this morning to find no display and the red light

If a new card: Which PSU do you have? The 4830 is hardly a power guzzling deamon but it still needs to be fed and perhaps the powersupply is not up to it (unlikely).
Not new but yeah its the the psu - 720W

That led ( D601) shows a core power fault and may indicate a dead card:(
Either: Try the card in another system or try another card in yours. Or both if you can.

Expletive

badomen

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Incase anyone comes across this in a google search..

Turns out that it was some weird bios issue. With 2 sticks or 2gig ram in the PC, it wouldn't boot.

To fix it i took out the graphics card and a stick of ram, booted using the on-board graphics...It worked fine.
Then shut down re-inserted the 2nd ram stick, started up, worked fine.
Finally put the card back in and its working again.

My mobo is a asus M2NPV-VM.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

It wasn't the sequence. Apparently the memory stick was not sitting properly and that is why the system refused to boot. The red LED at the back of the card is normal. I do not know what it means, but all normal Radeon cards (new) have this feature (probably for easy troubleshooting at the factory) and it always lights on when normal.

So by removing the stick and reinserting it, it worked.

No need to worry about the LED when it is on, it is normal.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

The lights are fault warnings, it is something to worry about when they stay on. They should flash quickly as part of the cards POST though.

One of the lights for each pci power, one for core temp, and one for core power fault, depending on which lights are glowing (or all of them)

badomen

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Haha I've never been so happy you were wrong either! I really cant afford a new card at the moment!

Thanks for all the help, its handy to know what that LED is supposed to mean

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

I haven't looked at my card for some time now... I will look into it and will post back whether they are supposed to be ON or OFF. Also, you mentioned 3(or 4? when you say PCI did you mean PCIe?) LEDs, if i remember correctly my card has only two, side by side. Can't be sure though... will look when i go home and come back to this.