Question Sapphire 580 single fan crazy

Feb 9, 2022
so, this is an old build, it's working nicely for quite a while. it's a sapphire rx580 nitro+
some time ago it begun making a very loud noise, after checking, one of the fans, the closest to the back is spinning at around 3K RPM, randomly, like, during boot, with 35°C temps, and also goes back to normal out of nowhere.
tried messing with wattman: if 0RPM is active, it shows me 0RPM constantly, if I turn it off, it shows the speed as it should, but no config, setting sound limit, custom curve or whatever, none let me reduce this spinning
tried afterburner: but it doesn't let me control fans
tried DDUing to see if it was driver, to no change.
any idea what could be happening and how to fix?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): Make, model, capacity, how full?

Manually download the applicable driver via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. No third party installers or tools,

Try updating/reinstalling Afterburner if and as applicable.

https://www.makeuseof.com/the-compl...ner?,company specialized in computer hardware.

Old build:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect everywhere for any signs of damage.

High fan spin up during boot usually happens on Motherboards with legacy bios versions. 35C is a good temp at idle, you should never go beyond 60C with this card unless you have poor air flow.

As above maybe the rest of the setup would help.

Are you using both connectors? On the nitro+ you only need to use the 8pin sometimes this can cause more issues with heat due power delivery being centred on the one connector. If you dont hit 72C at full load don't worry about it.

Nitro + was an amazing card.

Feb 9, 2022
High fan spin up during boot usually happens on Motherboards with legacy bios versions. 35C is a good temp at idle, you should never go beyond 60C with this card unless you have poor air flow.

As above maybe the rest of the setup would help.

Are you using both connectors? On the nitro+ you only need to use the 8pin sometimes this can cause more issues with heat due power delivery being centred on the one connector. If you dont hit 72C at full load don't worry about it.

Nitro + was an amazing card.

the thing is, it's idling at 35°C and 3K RPM, it shouldn't be this fast when so cool, and it's not only on boot, it's whenever it feels like.

also, yes, it's gotten both pins. never had any problem.

Feb 9, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): Make, model, capacity, how full?

Manually download the applicable driver via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. No third party installers or tools,

Try updating/reinstalling Afterburner if and as applicable.

https://www.makeuseof.com/the-complete-guide-to-using-msi-afterburner/#:~:text=What is MSI Afterburner?,company specialized in computer hardware.

Old build:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect everywhere for any signs of damage.
PSU: EVGA 600W 80+W
disk: seagate, 1TB, around 150GB left

also, reinstalling afterburner allowed me to actually edit fan curve, and I can only control the fan that behaves properly, the fasto one doesn't change at all

Ralston18

Titan
Are you able to test the GPU in another known working computer or try another know working GPU in your computer.

Determine if the problem follows the GPU/fan(s) or stays with the computer.

This GPU?

https://gzhls.at/blob/ldb/9/c/0/f/7176ae9c3fcdb59b44f7acaa44fc17941f77.pdf

Do verify that I found the applicable GPU link, As I understand the GPU, the fans are easy to remove, clean, replace.

From the link:

Quick Connect If there’s a fan problem, you don’t have to return the entire card – SAPPHIRE or our channel partners will send out a replacement fan directly to you! All the SAPPHIRE NITRO + Radeon RX580 and RX570 fans use our Quick Connect system. That means they’re easy to remove, clean and replace, with just one screw holding them securely in place.

Are you able to swap the fans? Determine if the problem follows the fan or stays with the fans position in the GPU?

Feb 9, 2022
Are you able to test the GPU in another known working computer or try another know working GPU in your computer.

Determine if the problem follows the GPU/fan(s) or stays with the computer.

This GPU?

https://gzhls.at/blob/ldb/9/c/0/f/7176ae9c3fcdb59b44f7acaa44fc17941f77.pdf

Do verify that I found the applicable GPU link, As I understand the GPU, the fans are easy to remove, clean, replace.

From the link:

Quick Connect If there’s a fan problem, you don’t have to return the entire card – SAPPHIRE or our channel partners will send out a replacement fan directly to you! All the SAPPHIRE NITRO + Radeon RX580 and RX570 fans use our Quick Connect system. That means they’re easy to remove, clean and replace, with just one screw holding them securely in place.

Are you able to swap the fans? Determine if the problem follows the fan or stays with the fans position in the GPU?

hey, sorry for the delay, got stuck looking for a way to test it somewhere else, my friend was away and I had to wait for him to back from a trip.

so far, seems to happen on different builds as well, so it's probably focused on the gpu itself
and yes, thats the one.

how would I go into getting the replacement fan, and how would I open it? it doesn't specify anywhere and I'm a little afraid to go messing for the first time on something expensive

also to note, I did blow some compressed air into the gpu, and it got less frequent for a while, but now it's back to 3K RPM almost full time and trying to clean with the air again did nothing

Ralston18

Titan
Re:

"how would I go into getting the replacement fan, and how would I open it? "

Start here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYR9WkYbb0A

There are other similar links to be found. However, the preceding link should provide some detail of what all is involved.

You can do additional searches and revise the search criteria as specifically as necessary for your situation.

Hopefully there will be additional posts with other ideas and suggestions. Maybe some other fan that is directly interchangeable.

Feb 9, 2022
Re:

"how would I go into getting the replacement fan, and how would I open it? "

Start here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYR9WkYbb0A

There are other similar links to be found. However, the preceding link should provide some detail of what all is involved.

You can do additional searches and revise the search criteria as specifically as necessary for your situation.

Hopefully there will be additional posts with other ideas and suggestions. Maybe some other fan that is directly interchangeable.

But where do I get to buy those? is there a proper site to do it? can I just get it from the local pieces shop?