Sapphire 6870 or Gigabyte 6850 OC ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

You basically summed up what I said in that last sentence. The 6850s oc is so small that it wont help at all. Even without an oc the 6870 will perform better. Both are non reference designs on the cooler so they will both be more quiet than OEM, but the fan at 35% to keep temps cool might need a little more umph than that. Overall I say the 6870 as it will outperform the 6850 and still be more quiet than reference design
The gigabyte has a very very small OC but will run cooler and more quiet . The sapphire will definitely perform better but will be a little more audible. If 10-15% more performance is worth the 15 bux to you then go for it. You can still overclock the 6870 yourself and get even better bang out of it.

Furieux

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
On the other hand, if I don't OC the Sapphire, it will run very cool and I'll be able to make the fan run at 35% load for an example... Also, i've heard a lot of good things about the sapphire Trixx software ! And even with the small OC of the gigabyte, it doesn't perform as well as the sapphire.

You basically summed up what I said in that last sentence. The 6850s oc is so small that it wont help at all. Even without an oc the 6870 will perform better. Both are non reference designs on the cooler so they will both be more quiet than OEM, but the fan at 35% to keep temps cool might need a little more umph than that. Overall I say the 6870 as it will outperform the 6850 and still be more quiet than reference design

Solution

Furieux

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
You're right 35% is a bit low :p maybe at idle tho... Both cards have the same fan size, so the dB difference between the fans won't be very noticeable. And i've heard that sapphire was a good brand when it comes to cooler/fan performances. Sure, it cant beat the dual fan on the gigabyte in term of cooling and noise... but i'm not planning to OC a lot... so I think i'll be fine.

thanks a lot for your input man ! Really appreciate it !

Status
Not open for further replies.