Question Sapphire 6900 XT - - - middle fan is always spinning ?

May 11, 2023
i have this problem on my sapphire 6900xt for a while. Basically the middle fan keeps on going always no matter what. even if i set the ZeroRPM in Adrenalin Software. the problem is that it spins around 1700-2000RPM i think cause i hear it quite well. Any kind of software i install to read the speed of the fans show me 0 RPM but the middle one keeps going forever. Anyone of you had this issue. Much appriciated !

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Any kind of software i install to read the speed of the fans show me 0 RPM but the middle keeps going forever.
What are the names of the app's you're used thus far? What does Sapphire's Trixx app show you with regards to the fans RPM?

For the sake of relevance, can you post the make and model of your motherboard as well as it's BIOS version at this moment of time?

May 11, 2023
hi there ! i am new on this forum so i have to appollogies for not having write more details on my system. There you go :

MB: Asus TUF Gaming x570-PRO WiFi -- BIOS ver. 4403 27/04/2022
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
GPU: Sapphire RX 6900XT
RAM: 4x8 DDR4 3600Mhz
PSU: 800W BeQuiet

APPS that i installed and show 0RPM are TECHPowerUP GPU, HWinfo64, even Adrenalin Software.
If i proceed with test fans on TRIXX is all ok, if i play and i go under load the fans are pushing if needed, the only thing is that on IDLE when temps are going down and GPU reaches temps that need no more the fans to work the middle fan keeps spinning and is quite loud, for sure goes beyond 1500rpm. FROM the moment i start my system the middle fan never stops and is quite loud. I have tried uninstalling the software that i thought might be related with the graphic card but nothing, i even did a fresh install of the OS, still nothing, i have pulled out the fan and cleaned the pins of the cable fan. Still nothing,

thank you !

PS: if i want to set a custom fan curve on Adrenalin Software at restart of the OS the Adrenalin sets itself to defaults, losing all my settings ?

Last edited:
hi there ! i am new on this forum so i have to appollogies for not having write more details on my system. There you go : MB Asus TUF Gaming x570-PRO wifi BIOS ver. 4403 27/04/2022
CPU Ryzen 9 5900x
RAM 4x8 DDR4 3600Mhz
GPU Sapphire RX 6900XT
PSU 800W BeQuiet
APPS that i installed and show 0RPM are TECHPowerUP GPU, HWinfo64, even Adrenalin Software.
If i proceed with test fans on TRIXX is all ok, if i play and i go under load the fans are pushing if needed, the only thing is that on IDLE when temps are going down and GPU reaches temps that need no more the fans to work the middle fan keeps spinning and is quite loud, for sure goes beyond 1500rpm. FROM the moment i start my system the middle fan never stops and is quite loud. I have tried uninstalling the software that i thought might be related with the graphic card but nothing, i even did a fresh install of the OS, still nothing, i have pulled out the fan and cleaned the pins of the cable fan. Still nothing,

thank you !

PS: if i want to set a custom fan curve on Adrenalin Software at restart of the OS the Adrenalin is stes itself on default, loosing all my settings.
I have an idea for you (assuming that you haven't done all of these things already):
  1. Download DDU, read the instructions and run it.
  2. Download & install the newest X570 Chipset Driver Package.
  3. Download & install the newest Adrenalin Driver Package.
  4. Restart your PC.
  5. Try setting your fan speed in Adrenalin again.
If this doesn't solve the problem, then you should contact Sapphire about an RMA because these steps would've completely fixed any software issues involved.

Setting fan speeds in Adrenalin doesn't cause problems, it's as easy as pointing and clicking. If there's a problem with that, either the Adrenalin software installation is corrupted (which is most often caused by not using DDU before installation) or the card is reacting badly to the instructions that it's receiving from the drivers (which means the card should be sent to Sapphire for an RMA).

I threw in the idea for the chipset drivers because almost nobody ever thinks of those. Neglecting the chipset drivers can also cause weird problems so even if that's not causing this, updating them is still a good practice to have.

May 11, 2023
I have an idea for you (assuming that you haven't done all of these things already):
  1. Download DDU, read the instructions and run it.
  2. Download & install the newest X570 Chipset Driver Package.
  3. Download & install the newest Adrenalin Driver Package.
  4. Restart your PC.
  5. Try setting your fan speed in Adrenalin again.
If this doesn't solve the problem, then you should contact Sapphire about an RMA because these steps would've completely fixed any software issues involved.

Setting fan speeds in Adrenalin doesn't cause problems, it's as easy as pointing and clicking. If there's a problem with that, either the Adrenalin software installation is corrupted (which is most often caused by not using DDU before installation) or the card is reacting badly to the instructions that it's receiving from the drivers (which means the card should be sent to Sapphire for an RMA).

I threw in the idea for the chipset drivers because almost nobody ever thinks of those. Neglecting the chipset drivers can also cause weird problems so even if that's not causing this, updating them is still a good practice to have.

I did all you said, i updated bios motherboard too, nothing works. :(

May 11, 2023
I figured that you had, but I would've been remiss if I hadn't said it anyway. I'm afraid that it's a hardware problem with the card and I would recommend sending it back to Sapphire for an RMA.
hi again, first of all i wanna thank you for the fast response. i suspected too that might be an electrical issue with the card so i kind of refused to believe that cause this might be my second time i return an AMD video card in RMA. the first was an 6800xt allways from Sapphire that kept crashing in Raytracing mostly, manually setting the GPU under 1600Mhz was working ok but still a faulty card. Now, this 6900xt clock frequency it works great, except this fan , which is frustrating when you know that you payied almost 1200euro an year ago for a product that normally should be 100% fully working. ty a lot once more !!

Last edited:
Reactions: Avro Arrow
hi again, first of all i wanna thank you for the fast response. i suspected too that might be an electrical issue with the card so i kind of refused to believe that cause this might be my second time i return an AMD video card in RMA. the first was an 6800xt allways from Sapphire that kept crashing in Raytracing mostly, manually setting the GPU under 1600Mhz was working ok but still a faulty card. Now, this 6900xt clock frequency it works great, except this fan , which is frustrating when you know that you payied almost 1200euro an year ago for a product that normally should be 100% fully working. ty a lot once more !!
I'm glad to have been of some help. I know exactly how you feel. You paid a lot of money for something defective and it sucks. You've had worse luck than most with two cards giving you problems but there is a silver lining. Since you've already had two defective cards, the odds are that you'll never see another one in your lifetime.

The worst is over (at least for you). Take care! :giggle:(y)