Question Sapphire Amd Rx 480 8GB DDR5 problem

Bruv-kimane-un

Commendable
Sep 2, 2020
Uhh hello hello !

So, i have this GPU that i bought around a year ago. It is an Sapphire RX 480 8 GB DDR5.
Now the problem is, that this GPU has sitting around for a while, and recently i was upgrading my rig (Intel i5 3470, Biostar ih61mf-q5, 16GB DDR 3 RAM ), and i decided to use this GPU replacing RX 550 4GB.
And i install it, no problem. And i was curious, why ?

So a quick story in the past, and why i left this GPU sitting around ?
So after i buy it, my rig back then is (650w silverstone PSU, An A8-6600K, Biostar Hifi fm2+,16 Gb DDR3). And i straight plugged it in and install the driver. No probs occurred. BUT. When i played a low end game like Heroes and Generals. The first issue is i don't run it smoothly. Instead it was lagging and freezing. Like i was running on intel Hd graphics. After that problem, i tried to play BF 1, and when i entered a match ( active, lots of explosion stuff and effects) The fans spinning more and more fast. After that, The PC dies.

First i was suspecting my CPU and Mobo. And therefore i left it in the box. and i buy RX 550 to be a temporary GPU for my rig. (It requires no additional power pin) and it runs smoothly. And it didn't have any problem. So, i was suspecting my GPU. And i bought it to the store. Plugged it, and plays it. No problem. and it runs perfectly. No faulty, No Crash. And i was suspecting either my motherboard and my CPU.

Resuming to my first paragraph,
I was curious that the problem will occur or not, and that's why i wanted to ask this question
If its a power problem, can you give me a solution ?
Thanks

So:
  • you bought a lower power RX550 card which worked
  • you took it to a store to test on a different PSU and the RX480 worked
What is the model of your PSU and how old is it. An RX480 isn't that demanding of a GPU, a good properly functioning 650W PSU is certainly plenty. Heck, even a properly functioning 450W PSU should be able to run an RX480 without issue (providing it has an 8-pin aux power cable).

Last edited:

Bruv-kimane-un

Commendable
Sep 2, 2020
Yes, its right.
I use a silverstone PSU, a ST65F-GS.

And if provides a 8 pin power.
Yes the GPU runs, i installed the windows, Drivers, ETC no probs. The only problem is if i run a game and the fans spins fast, The GPU dies.
The PSU is about 2 years old right now, but when i buyed this GPU, i bought this PSU too. So i can say that this PSU have the same age as the GPU.

can this might be an Motherboard PCI slot - power issue ? Because i looked online and see that this Model of GPU have an PCI Power issue.

Can you help me ?

Its strange because your PSU is a good one. So lets set that aside.

Lets turn to option 2. When it's INSIDE your case, the GPU crashes. When it was (presumably) tested on an open test bench (not in a case) at the store, it worked fine. Just before your GPU crashes, the fans spin real fast. Sounds like you've got a temp problem.

Have you monitored temps?
What case do you have. What case fans (and size) do you have in the case, where are they mounted, and which direction do they blow.
Have you tested with the side panel removed from your case?

Last edited:

Bruv-kimane-un

Commendable
Sep 2, 2020
Yes, i do monitor temps.
It runs 40-60 C in idle state. When it enters a game. It spins more more fast as the temp is rising beyond 80 C
And i have a fan that blows heat out, and a fan who blows air in
The fan that blows heat out is located underneath the gpu.

A little question :
When i saw the performance tab in amd radeon software. I saw that my clock speed, GPU utilization not stable, it keeps spiking from 0% to 100% and drops again. Is this normal ? my GPU clock ranges around 700 mhz and spiked to 1000, dropping again to 700 or 600 mhz.

Bruv-kimane-un

Commendable
Sep 2, 2020
Its strange because your PSU is a good one. So lets set that aside.

Lets turn to option 2. When it's INSIDE your case, the GPU crashes. When it was (presumably) tested on an open test bench (not in a case) at the store, it worked fine. Just before your GPU crashes, the fans spin real fast. Sounds like you've got a temp problem.

Have you monitored temps?
What case do you have. What case fans (and size) do you have in the case, where are they mounted, and which direction do they blow.
Have you tested with the side panel removed from your case?
And yes, i have already test it even without my case. Problem still occurs

Please run FurMark for 15 minutes.

While FurMark is running, have GPUz open. This will show you a bunch of readouts. For now, concentrate on core frequency (this is likely the top line) to see if it's consistent, or if it fluctuates or decreases over time. Also, keep an eye on GPU temp and fan speed (rpm).

Bruv-kimane-un

Commendable
Sep 2, 2020
Please run FurMark for 15 minutes.

While FurMark is running, have GPUz open. This will show you a bunch of readouts. For now, concentrate on core frequency (this is likely the top line) to see if it's consistent, or if it fluctuates or decreases over time. Also, keep an eye on GPU temp and fan speed (rpm).
Yes, i already tested running Furmark. When i click the "play" button. My PC instantly dies. Like No reboot, no restart. Just DEAD.

Last edited: