Sapphire ghz vs Powercolor xt

JimBobWales

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
I'm deciding between "Sapphire 11199-10-40G Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition" and "PowerColor AX7870 2GBD5-2DHPPV3E Radeon HD 7870 XT".

Which one should I get? I hear great things about sapphire's cooling but the 7870xt by powercolor is practically a 7900 (I think?) and the same price. HELP!

Solution

Well, that's why I tend to not use pcpartpicker, it takes all the fun out of it.
"crosses his fingers hoping for best answer"...

JimBobWales

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

So is it worth not going with Sapphire in this case? I've heard amazing things about sapphire amd gpus and not so amazing things about powercolor. I guess I'm just a lil paranoid.

disregarding specs, i'd go with Sapphire, no offense but powercolor is like a cheap...something.
i've only had one card from sapphire, it was way way back then, but it lasted for years, it was still agp, then i tried it again (not used for a few years) when i already have pci-e, i tried using it on an older pc and it still works.

but, i have tried powercolor also, bought 6870 for my younger brother (it was sooo cheap), it is still ok i believe, it's almost a year now i think

JimBobWales

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

Yeah it's price that;s really tempting but I know how much better sapphire is in terms of amd products. It's a damn tough call.

I run two Powercolor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB cards in Crossfire. The normal HD 7870 is weaker even with its 1GHz core clock. Not only that, newegg has a great deal that's almost as good as the deal I got from NCIX (which prompted me to buy 2 of them...lol):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131484
$180 minus a $30 mail-in-rebate, how can you go wrong? LOL

Keep in mind that calling the card the HD 7870XT is the stupidest thing that ATi could have done. By rights it should be called the HD 7930.

Jaxem

Honorable
I generally try to go for what is better quality so I can get more after warranties have expired, power color is a bit of a bottom run GPU maker hence they're always the cheapest...but at the same time, they're still in businness , so their stuff can't be complete crap (though there's lots of flaming reviews that say otherwise)

JimBobWales

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

WAIT! I did NOT see that deal in pcpartpicker...that just made my mind for me.

Well, that's why I tend to not use pcpartpicker, it takes all the fun out of it.
"crosses his fingers hoping for best answer" ;)

Solution

I can't count on all my fingers and toes all the flaming reviews I've read about ASUS motherboards. I take those with a grain of salt. Also keep in mind that Sapphire is owned by PCPartner. Sapphire apparently makes phenomenal video cards but PCPartner makes abysmal motherboards. Go figure! LOL