Sapphire HD 2600 XT - fan not working, overheating.

G

Hello all,

Recently my card has been overheating a lot, sometimes it works fine for days and idling around 65, not shutting down, but now it slowly reaches around 115-120 before shutting down my computer. I checked the card and all looks fine, but I then noticed the fan does not spin when the card's inserted.

What could I do to fix this?

Thanks.

G

I was thinking of purchasing a 4670, but right now I also need a new PSU. I'm low on cash, unfortunately.

This is just pretty much for Starcraft 2 when it's released. I was enjoying the beta, and I didn't suffer with the 2600 xt.

Thanks.

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
try oiling the fan... remove the fan from the heatsink and behind the fan u can see a sticker...
remove it and put 1 drop of oil there...that ll make the fan work again...

G

I'm going to try to oil it now. I'll post pack with details.

also, I'm going to opt for a 4650, found a nice one on play.com for £44 (15 off :D)

Thanks.

I'm going to try to oil it now. I'll post pack with details.

also, I'm going to opt for a 4650, found a nice one on play.com for £44 (15 off :D)

Thanks.

If that is after vat then nice find. They are much faster than your older 2k series card which is give or take about the performance of a 2900 pro /3850 depending on the game. Games that are very heavily fillrate and memory dependent then FPS isn't going to be that good but a significant upgrade over your current card as for shader you wont be disappointed.

G

Unfortunately the oiling of the fan did not work. Suffice to say it's buggered. I was planning on giving this card to my brother aswell.

Thanks for the info on the cards, nforce. I'll be sure to order the 4650 soon.

G

A quick update: I bunged in an old x1050 I salvaged from another PC, just installing the drivers now. This will do for now, I suppose! A big thanks to all that have posted, and I shall try my best to help around the community.

Cheers.