Sapphire HD 4670 1GB Overheating

ravsimvan

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I have a new box which the component supplier assembled for me. Everything seemed to be fine for the first week or so. However yesterday I installed COH and on playing it only for afew minutes the PC shutdown itself. On restarting it again shutdown midway through windows 7 startup.

I went to the bois and saw the CPU and system temps. The were 46C and 38C respectively. No problems there. I waited for a while and started again. This time i had a successful startup. I monitored the GPU temperature and it was around 60C with fan speed 40%.

I fired up COH and after playing for 5 minutes paused and looked at GPU temperature -- it was 104C with fan speed 100%. What's going on?

cancer2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I have a sapphire x1950pro card, same thing happens to me when i play games with heavy graphics settings. At first there were blue scrrens on WinXP, and i had to change the power supply. I had a 500W Deluxe, and i replaced it with a 550W Corsair. No more blue screens, but the crashes did not disappear. When i checked the GPU temp it was around 100c. The fan is very noisy but it seems that it can't cool the GPU fast enough. I keep the case open for a better ventilation, but i do not recommend it because it gathers a lot of dust fast. So from time to time i take the graphic card out and clean it.
I never overclocked the card, i do not know why it stays so hot, i have heard that my card usually runs pretty hot, but that is no excuse for crashes in the middle of the game.
High temperatures are either a cooling flaw or a GPU flaw, if you can make sure that the cooling is ok, then it means that the GPU is not running within normal parameters. (my opinion)

Try too keep the number of topics low, only one topic per issue, ok?

ravsimvan

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

Could it be due to having and ide cable in the box for my old DVD writer? Could it be due to airflow?

I'll stick to ur suggestion on no. of topics.

cancer2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
It could be if the IDE cable is obstructing the airflow, i have an ABIT AB9PRO motherboard and the ide conector is beneath the graphic card, but it does not obstruct the airflow to the card's fan. However, i think you sould give it a try and unplug that cable, run some tests, see if the cable is your problem. I bet it is not, or at least it should not be. If it is the cable then you can upgrade your DVD with a SATA DVD, or better, buy a round IDE cable.

ravsimvan

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

Otherwise what it could be?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Look at maybe a pci slot cooling fan. You can find them for a few bucks online. Install it in the pci slot under your card, maybe see if that would exhaust some of the hot air from the case.

cancer2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
If the problem is not with the cooling(and you shoud double check this), then the problem may be from the drivers. To quickly eliminate this possibility try and install different driver versions, usually the latest is the best, but it may be a little faulty.
If everything else fails then it is something from the card, some components that regulate the power on the board may be faulty/damaged, and you could be the unlucky person to receive a card that does not work within normal parameters.