Sapphire HD 5770 Issue

ombitsmike

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Another one of those threads... but mine's a bit different. I've clean installed Windows 7 x64 Home Premium and updated Bios to latest.

Rig
Intel i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2Ghz Stock not oc'd
GSkill Ripjaws 1333Mhz 2x4gb DDR3 RAM
Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 (Latest drivers 11.10)
Raidmax RX-630SS PSU (630W)
DVD-RW optical drive
Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2V Motherboard (F3 bios version latest)

My issue is that, even after updating bios and clean installing, I still get the display drivers have stopped responding and recovered. But in my case, it does it 1-3 times in 30secs-1minute and then it goes straight into being 100% compatible/smooth like it was error free.

My question is, maybe my PSU isn't pumping enough Amps into the GPU which is making it give off the driver issue.

PSU:
DC Output Current 10A/5A
+3.3V 25.A
+5V 25.A
+12V1 22.A
+12V2 22.A
-12V 0.5A
+5Vsb 2.0A
630W Total Output

Any suggestions?

ombitsmike

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I read around that the recommended Amps coming from the 12V rail should be from 30A-40A minimum/max. That's why I'm suggesting the issue of "Is my 12V 22A too weak?" Should I increase voltage? Or..

The "Display Drive............" problem is more related to a windows bug and driver fails, Uninstall the current drivers and update to the latest CCC from AMD.
Also check if your card is not IDLE all the time, the lowest Core, Memory Clock could cause this problem.
Finally i would recommend you to freshly install the Windows and install it's updates first.

You do have 2 rails combined giving a total of 42A to the whole system, you're more than enough.
Besides the HD 5770 consumes about 110W in full load, you don't have any prob with the PSU.

ombitsmike

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

Ah. That's how PSU's work! :D So that issue is out of the question. As to the Installation of Windows, I did that.

What I did in this order:
Installed Windows 7 and all updates.
Installed Bios update
Installed AMD latest drivers (11.10) for Radeon HD 5000 series cards.

The card works and will play games after 30secs-1min of display crashing but once that games done, everything gets all jurgled up (pixelated desktop) and I'm forced to reboot each time. It's not a big deal to me, but something I'd like to have fixed.

Also about the core clock speed, it idles whenever I'm not gaming pretty much.

Is there any other fixes you can think of?

loneninja

Distinguished
I personally think AMD's latest drivers for the 5770 are bugged. I've been playing Battlefield 3 since release on the 11.5 drivers and updated today to the newest, should be 11.10. Game ran fine before, it still runs good but occasionally just drops into single digit fps and the screen even completely freezes some times for a few seconds. So much for BF3 optimized drivers. lol

Point in case, try uninstalling the drivers and going back to 11.9 or something. It sounds like a driver issue rather than a graphics card issue. I had the same "driver quit responding error" with a 4670 around a year ago, went away with a new driver update.

ombitsmike

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

Ah, I've only tried drivers 11.1 and 11.10. I read somewhere that 10.2 was ideal. Not sure if it'll be worth the time to try each different driver. But, worth a shot.

10.2!!!!!!!!!!!! that's preety much old and you'll have performance degradation, just play between 11.8/11.9. and if the Problem is not fixed, i suggest you do a fresh install of Win and install the latest WIN Installer, .NetFrameWork, C++...then install the CCC 11.8/9

He just did a fresh Win install and all updates!

ombitsmike

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

Actually, this was after the issue. I had the driver's dropped issue no matter what I did before I fresh installed and Bios updated. Sorry if I didn't mention that before. After doing this though, the issue has not persisted as much as it did before. It still occurs.

So, I should try drivers from 11.2-11.10? 11.10 has been stable since I just need to do a simple reboot (which takes less than 30 secs) and it all goes fine. I can play Steam games (half life 2) and the issue never occurs. However games such as MMO's and RTS it occurs.