Sapphire HD 6770 Frame Time Issues

Jun 7, 2018
No matter what game I play, this card has terrible frame times. And I'm not talking about frame rates. The card plays all of the games that i have at a solid 60fps, but the frametimes are atrocious. It feels like 25fps all of the time, even with v-sync and triple buffering enabled. I assume it is just a driver problem, but everything I have done doesn't work, including re-seating, cleaning out the card, fresh driver installations, and even fresh operating system installations. What should I do?

AMD no longer supports cards that old with new drivers. So a lot depends on the games you play, which you do not name.

Also, enabling vsync isn't a good idea unless your framerate is always 60fps or higher, assuming your monitor refresh rate is 60hz. Due to the way vsync works, having it enabled if/when your framerate drops under 60fps makes things worse not better. So if by 'solid 60fps' you mean it only drops into the 50s once in a while, disable vsync.

Your CPU may affect things as well, but since you didn't mention your CPU or the name of the games you're playing I can't say if this might be part of the problem.

Jun 7, 2018

Sorry for taking up your time, I believe I have figured out a solution to my problem.
First off, windows 10 machine, using an Athlon II x6 1100T, with 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 running in dual channel.
I played Overwatch, Fortnite, and Minecraft, all on the lowest settings possible.(with the exception of minecraft)

I used vsync to see as if it could help, but not so much at the time. Okay, here's what I found that works for me. I used the latest, beta release of AMD's Crimson Edition 16.2.1 legacy driver (2016.) Upon installing, I only installed the display driver, because I noticed that sometimes it would install the audio driver first and cause a lot of issues.

Audio driver before video driver seems to be a common problem with older hardware, I have seen a few cases of this on the forum. This helped a lot.

Finally, I downloaded the RadeonPro app here. In RadonPro, I navigated over to the "Tweaks" tab, selected "Vsync Control" and chose Adaptive vsync. Forcing triple buffering seemed to help in some games that could benefit from it as well.