Sapphire hd 7959 Fan issue at idle

tony1-3-9

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
Hi, im once again having problems with my sapphire hd 7950 dual x gpu, on another thread i posted about it having missing thermal pads, now i have replaced my thermal pads and replaced the paste with shin etsu one of my fans has gotten really loud? Its the left fan closest to the video connections, i looked at gpu temps at idle in hwinfo and gpuz and both reported 24 degrees, i changed fan speed up and down in CCC and its only effecting the right most fan? Also in gpuz its reporting fan rpm at 3600rpm!! But also saying fan speed 20%, something's not right but i don't know what, the only thing i can attempt is to replace paste again. Have any you any ideas?

tony1-3-9

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

hi, thanks for your reply. I never thought of bios myself but definitely a good idea! I removed the heat sink again to have a closer look, as the 7950 is dual fan I checked both fans to see if there was any issues, I noticed the fan which was loud only had 3 wires going into its connection, a bit weird as the other fan had four wires, after a bit of soldering I managed to get it working fine, with only 3 wires I guess it was running at 12v all the time now its running at 800rpm at idle which is so much better the 3600rpm!!!

tony1-3-9

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

well, I wouldn't blame sapphire just yet :) I bought the gpu from ebay, and the seller sold the item with new fans fitted, he included the old fans which are slightly bigger than the replaced ones, and I did try them 1st but they where making a rattling noise, i guess that's why he changed them, its possible either he did it or the fans came this way for whatever reason, but having the old fans did come helpful as I used the four pin connector from it, it was a bit of a odd setup, the fan that was loud had the adapter on it to plug in the 2nd fan, but as I said it was a 4 pin connector but only 3 wires going into it? The 3 wires ran down to some heat shrink and 4 wires then came out the other end of the heat shrink?I don't understand why it was like this but im glad its sorted :) I think it may have been previous owners doing.