Question Sapphire Nitro RX 480 won't accept AMD drivers ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Hello all,

Hope everyone is having a good time. Recently I've been trying to get this Sapphire Nitro RX 480 4GB GPU card working but will not work! I think I may know the problem but not sure on how to solve it.

Issue:

I've build my AMD computer system, all hardware works inside the computer even the GPU it self works. But the issues come when I try and install any AMD Sapphire Nitro RX 480 drivers onto the system, then it comes up with errors like video_source not found and other error codes. I tried to download the latest AMD driver for this card manually and automatic with AMD driver installer from their website.

When error happens:

Once I am installing the AMD driver about half way though the installation the screen goes black and the PC reboots. Sometimes coming up with different errors and the screen goes all white/black fuzzy. Then the PC tries to hard reboot it self forcing it self into Windows 10 factory boot where you can reset the whole pc etc.

The card for some reason only works with "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" when this default Windows 10 driver in on the system when the Sapphire Nitro RX 480 4GB is installed the card works fine with no errors. It all only starts happening when I try to install the latest AMD drivers for that card. Then forcing me to put back in my NVIDEA card to get the PC working again.

What I found on the card with GPUZ:

I looked at the this card with the basic windows driver installed. And on GPUZ it says the latest driver installed is like 2006 if this helps at all. So not sure if the previous owner has done anything to this card or mucked up the drivers on it making it not work correctly on my system.

I've also tried the same card on my other computer systems to check to see if my system is faulty. But the same issues happens on my other computers as well. I think the PC boots ok in safe mode when all crashes happen during AMD driver installation if this also helps.

rgd1101

Don't
Yes on Windows 10 and the old GPU which worked. What do you mean by it might not support latest driver? Surely the latest driver for that card should work right? As Nvida would not launch the driver to the public right as its not a beta driver which I installed. But why does it say in the link provided that it doesnt support the version of windows when I updated windows in settings/updates.
Have no idea what the card is. That why I'm asking

Status
Not open for further replies.