Question Sapphire Nitro RX 480 won't accept AMD drivers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Hello all,

Hope everyone is having a good time. Recently I've been trying to get this Sapphire Nitro RX 480 4GB GPU card working but will not work! I think I may know the problem but not sure on how to solve it.

Issue:

I've build my AMD computer system, all hardware works inside the computer even the GPU it self works. But the issues come when I try and install any AMD Sapphire Nitro RX 480 drivers onto the system, then it comes up with errors like video_source not found and other error codes. I tried to download the latest AMD driver for this card manually and automatic with AMD driver installer from their website.

When error happens:

Once I am installing the AMD driver about half way though the installation the screen goes black and the PC reboots. Sometimes coming up with different errors and the screen goes all white/black fuzzy. Then the PC tries to hard reboot it self forcing it self into Windows 10 factory boot where you can reset the whole pc etc.

The card for some reason only works with "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" when this default Windows 10 driver in on the system when the Sapphire Nitro RX 480 4GB is installed the card works fine with no errors. It all only starts happening when I try to install the latest AMD drivers for that card. Then forcing me to put back in my NVIDEA card to get the PC working again.

What I found on the card with GPUZ:

I looked at the this card with the basic windows driver installed. And on GPUZ it says the latest driver installed is like 2006 if this helps at all. So not sure if the previous owner has done anything to this card or mucked up the drivers on it making it not work correctly on my system.

I've also tried the same card on my other computer systems to check to see if my system is faulty. But the same issues happens on my other computers as well. I think the PC boots ok in safe mode when all crashes happen during AMD driver installation if this also helps.

The card could be defective. Do you have the aux power connected?
What happens if you try to run a 3D app (like Unigine Valley)? I've seen similar behavior before in faulty cards. 2D with basic drivers works fine but as soon as you try to install the full driver or do anything 3D it fails.

D

Deleted member 14196

Just go to AMD’s website and click download a little tool that figures out what hardware you have and it will install the proper stuff you don’t even need to monkey around anymore. If that fails then you have a broken card

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
The card could be defective. Do you have the aux power connected?
What happens if you try to run a 3D app (like Unigine Valley)? I've seen similar behavior before in faulty cards. 2D with basic drivers works fine but as soon as you try to install the full driver or do anything 3D it fails.

Yes the 6-pin connector is connected correctly. The fans all spin on the GPU, its just as soon as I try and install any driver. And the card seems to only like Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver which Windows automaticaly installs for you. What would you say the issue could be?

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Just go to AMD’s website and click download a little tool that figures out what hardware you have and it will install the proper stuff you don’t even need to monkey around anymore. If that fails then you have a broken card

I've downloaded the automatic driver installation from AMD https://www.amd.com/en/support and it installed and teh card doesnt accept that driver which AMD installed onto it.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016

But how is the card broken if it display ok with the basic windows driver? And only crashes with the AMD driver?

D

Deleted member 14196

I would test that card in another PC but I think your card is broken

Run DDU in safe mode. Remove all video drivers and then reboot and it should find your new video card. Again if that doesn’t work you probably have hardware issues

D

Deleted member 14196

Like I said test it in another PC maybe you just have a Windows problem in which case you could format and reinstall fresh and it should be fine

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Did you buy it used? It's possible it has a mining vbios

Hi, yes I bought this card used.

Yes bought this card used.

Here is a image from GPU-Z if this helps. I've flashed the GPU to the latest version which was the same as before. But one thing I do notice inside GPU-Z is the driver date is on 2006 and this may be causing the issue. But the GPU wont allow me to update to the latest AMD driver with this card.

VGA Bios Collection: Sapphire RX 580 8 GB | TechPowerUp

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
if you can still return the gpu, return it. if not guess you are out of luck.

Ok so this is what I've done to the system.

I decided ok that card is broke. So I installed my old Nvidea card back into the system which work fine before! This is after I tried to use DDU to unsinall all the drivers to see if this would fix the issue.
Then I installed my old Nvidea GPU back into windows and these drivers will not install correctly now.

So, I decided that it must be something wrong with the OS configuration on the system. So I done a fresh installed version of Windows 10 pro (with my old Nvidea card installed on the computer). I updated the pc with the latest windows updates then tried to install Nvidea graphics which worked before, now it is not allowing me to install them drivers onto the system? But in device manager it does reconsise the card and doesnt show the basic windows driver. But why does the system now allow me to install which I know 100% that this card works as it worked on the same system before trying to troubleshoot this other card.

This is the error now I'm getting with the GPU nvidea installation. I tried to install driver manualy and with Geforce exprience and both came up with same error.

Error: https://pasteboard.co/JFWbnS6.png

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
windows 10?
what the old gpu model? it might not support on the latest driver.

Yes on Windows 10 and the old GPU which worked. What do you mean by it might not support latest driver? Surely the latest driver for that card should work right? As Nvida would not launch the driver to the public right as its not a beta driver which I installed. But why does it say in the link provided that it doesnt support the version of windows when I updated windows in settings/updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.