[SOLVED] Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT Weird Black Screen

Feb 2, 2020
I recently started streaming while playing Witcher 3 at 1080p Ultra settings.
Until last night only when I was streaming while playing I got random crash where screen goes black, I hearedthe game sound but no discord sound from the person I was in voice chat with. Only reboot solved it but it would appear later again randomly (most of the time during a cutscene where it would hang for a second, then screen go black and the mentioned audio bug, also every other component is still getting powered, cpu fan spinning, front intake fans spinning but not the gpu ones! the sapphire logo shines tho).
My specs are:
Cpu: Ryzen 5 3600 Stock Speeds (No Oc)
Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Black
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) XMP Profile 1 3200mhz Cl16-18-18-38 (ran Memtest86 and RAMs seem to be ok)
MoBo: Msi B450 Gaming Plus Max Bios 7B86vH5 (latest)
PSU: 650W be quiet! Straight Power 11 80+ G
GPU driver: 20.1.3 with adjusted Frequency (1925Mhz at max instead of 2100) and adjusted fan curve)
Latest Windows version and latest chipset driver (clean) installed

I got this pc since december. Back then I was still rocking my 1050ti, doing the same as now but with a lot lower graphic settings. Streaming+Gaming? Np!
Now exactly after two weeks of using the Sapphire card I experience something that I was aware of being possible issue but not to that extent when choosing the AMD card over the much weaker 2060S I was going to pick instead.
When installing the new GPU I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers with DDU. In event viewer the last two entries on the systems submenue are:
Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered. and
The server Microsoft.WindowsStore_12001.1001.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe!App.AppX65azfy60a5wn91mcvdd3dr2y0wj02n39.mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
Also, yes, I have hardware acceleration turned off both in Discord and Chrome.
I have run Aida64 and Heaven Benchmark - no crashes whatsoever. The difference tho was that the fans were all spinning like hell, temps were quite low tho but during my crashes none fan spinning like crazy.
The only other games I have rn are Heroes of the Storm and Apex Legends. I've not crashed with Apex yet but I also haven't streamed it. HotS I've also crashed 2 times but that's it.
In witcher I could save before a cutscene, start the other day (with OBS streaming on) and right after the loading screen where it gets to the cutscene, it would crash.
Yesterday I also had other crashes. First time. Start game -> Start Obs stream -> continue Game -> short black screen with a fast black screen into "Failed to recreate D3D11: Failed to create input layout (80070057" msg from obs being crashed. The game is still open but I can't visually tab into it anymore. When I do, I only hear the audio of the game running but no visuals, still stuck at desktop screen.
This is the most frustrating experience since my last AMD card (R9 390).
I've read on reddit posts in the comments from some people saying that the PSU needs more rails for the PCIe cabels for more stable power delivery but as of now, I can't afford a new PSU...
Looking forward to your answers!
Regards
ashurakotaro

Solution
Update: I plugged the PSU power cable directy into the socket on the wall instead of the splitter socket, somehow it's fixed now. Prob bc of lower quality splitter.
#fixed for now
This seems to be a known problem with the latest driver...here's an extract from an AMD Community posting...
  • Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.
Of course, you should do a clean install of the AMD drivers. Best way I know is:
  1. uninstall the current drivers
  2. reboot into safe mode.
  3. Run the AMD cleanup utility found here then
  4. for good measure also run DDU from safe mode.
Then reinstall chipset drivers (assuming you have an AMD motherboard/cpu) and finall install the graphics drivers. And when you install the drivers, also check the 'Factory Reset' option box.

Feb 2, 2020
Do I have to reinstall the chipset driver first before installing the latest graphic driver? I followed a guide from the AMD forum where it didn't mentioned that. Well, guess it's worth a try...
I found the post on reddit and it says:
"I had a lot of crashes during gaming. The graphics card was connected with two cables to the PSU and the PSU based on numbers should have been able to provide enough power.
But: After a lot of investigating I ofund my old PSU had only two power rails. So one of the two PCIe cabels was drawing from the same lane the CPU. So if CPU and GPU drew power at the same time it crashed. This also explains why it only crashed in games and not in benchmarks."

Dude bought a new PSU with 4 power rails, one rail for each PCIe cable, so the GPU has two rails on its own, a rail for CPU and another one for peripherals. Problem was solved. But does that apply to everyone? If that would be the solution, why wouldnt AMD tell everyone? Does anyone know if the physics behind is correct?

Last edited:
Dude bought a new PSU with 4 power rails, one rail for each PCIe cable
If you used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) then you should re-install chipset drivers, but as you said it can't hurt to do it again even if unneeded.

Blaming it on the PSU is one of the favorite dodges with GPU upgrade problems... it works mainly because people upgrading frequently forget the one they had before was sized for a less power hungry GPU. In your case I have to think a 650W BeQuiet is high quality PSU and should be quite enough power for a 5700XT/3600 combo, but I'm not that familiar with PSU's to say with certainty.

The only thing I can be sure of is AMD has recognized a problem with their drivers so I'd keep them updated. They release updates two to three times monthly. But making sure you have a clean/fresh install of them can only help.

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
I am having this exact problem. Screen goes black and the game sound is still running, only hitting the reset button solves until the next time.
Similar set-up but cricially, the same GPU with Adrenalin 20.1.4 driver,

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (Recent update)
MSI X570 MPG Gaming Edge mobo
16GB Corsair RGB Pro 3600MHz
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT GPU
2 x WD SN500 256 GB NVMe drives
2TB Toshiba P300 SATA
Corsair RM850 PSU
Thermaltake Level 20 MT

Feb 2, 2020
Update: I plugged the PSU power cable directy into the socket on the wall instead of the splitter socket, somehow it's fixed now. Prob bc of lower quality splitter.
#fixed for now

Last edited:
Solution