Sapphire R7 260x black screen!!!

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Bought a sapphire R7 260x 2gb(says oc edition but core and memory clocks are lesser than referrence) 25 days back.
Whole system is new.Got a black screen just when sitting on the desktop two days after i built the pc.Restarted pc,everythjing fine for 2 weeks,black screen again,all components running fine inside the cabinet,still black screen tried unplugging and replugging DVi cable,no go,monitor still gets signal after black screen.This was with the the driver which came along with the gpu.
Then installed 13.12 from amd webiste,black screen next day,just when browsing the internet.
Uninstalled that too and installed 13.12c from sapphire which had catalyst version 14.1,worked fine for 8 days,black screen again when watching a movie.Movie sound form the speaker turned into a wird long loop,still monitor was recieving signal.So uninstalled that too and installed 14.3 beta.Restarted the pc and when installiong arkham origins,black screen again,restated the pc and uninstalled that too and installed 13.10.Worked fine for one day and black screen again just after starting the system when browsing thorugh my folders on the hard disk.

Everytime i do a clean uninstall and boot into safe mode and run driver sweeper and only then i install another version.

When gaming this has never happened,No heating issue,max temp is 76 even with crysis 3.To be noted:I live in India,chennai.It is summer now and temps are between 35 and 40c outside.

Even tried leaving the system on for 5 minutes after black screen,display does'nt comeback,all components would still be running.I have to hard shut down and restart everytime this happens.

Even before i bought this card i knew many are facing this issue,with all manufacturers like asus,xfx,sapphire and all.Stll took a risk by going with the card.I just wanna know if it is hardware issue or a driver related problem.If its latter i can wait for a table version.Just wanna make sure it is not a hardware issue,if so i will have to rma this card.

I could not relate each occurance with another,happens completely random.Everytime happened under diferrent scenario_Only thing i could get out of those were like the gpu did not have lot of work to do.Was almost at idle.

Tested drivers:
13.20(worked fine for 2 days black screen,again worked fine for 2 weeks,black screen) which came along with the disc(for some reason this was released before 13.10 or 13.12)
13.10(good for 1 day)
13.12(good for 2 days)
13.12c from sapphire website.(good for 8 days)
14.3 beta(not even for 1 hour).

My whole system config is:
I3-3220
Gigabyte B75m-D3h
Corsair value select 4gb 1600mhz ddr3
Seagate barracuda 1 tb
Sapphire R7 260x 2g Gddr5
Power supply:Corsair VS450(UK version)34A on 12v.

Solution
From mtdew332:

"So after two weeks of searching for the cause / solution to my Black Screen issue, I think i've finally nailed it down.
With some help from overclock.net forums.
I'll just quote it here.

(This black screen from power transitions occurs because the memory clock jumps up to full speed (1250, etc), while the GPU voltage (which also controls the IMC--this is the problem) is STILL running at idle volts of 0.9xxx). That idle voltage is too low to handle the IMC, which is controlling the memory running at that speed (this is NOT due to defective memory modules btw), and thus the card black screens.)

The fix, is to increase the GPU voltage, which ALSO increases the idle voltage to the IMC as well. (previous...

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Great buddy on the same day...Know what we are just going to live with it...Or will have to live with it and hope amd fixes this with some driver...And iam going to leave the pc turned on tonight with monitor off...If it black screens again i have a proff for sapphire...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/324136-33-6970-artifacts-apps

Bagzi

Reputable
May 20, 2014

Yes....but my is Power color

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Have a look at mine...its different..

name="CoreClockTarget_PCI_VEN_1002&DEV_6658&SUBSYS_E258174B&REV_00_4&B77C4C1&0&0008A">
<Property name="Want_0" value="0" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="0" />
</Feature>
- <Feature name="PowerControl_PCI_VEN_1002&DEV_6658&SUBSYS_E258174B&REV_00_4&B77C4C1&0&0008A">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
- <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_PCI_VEN_1002&DEV_6658&SUBSYS_E258174B&REV_00_4&B77C4C1&0&0008A">
<Property name="Want_0" value="15000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="150000" />

This is a better guide
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/updated-amd-ati-2d-clock-guide.117633/

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Still mine looks the same as above...

Jogden

Reputable
May 24, 2014

only after resuming, 1 time when I'm playing portal 2.

drivers 14.4 and windows 8.1

writteninleaves

Reputable
May 16, 2014
Updated on my side:

I don't get black screen now, what I get is bluescreen after watching some flash videos from youtube, but the whole blackscreen thing i didn't encounter after 4 days, but I checked my RAM it passed on memtest with no problems because the description on bluescreen is regarding on Physical Dump Memory.

abirtj

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

da BS started to happen after i installed the physX.....was just a thought....anyway its getting really annoying.....y are we the ones with the prob?....i read a tech geek posted in amd forum that his r9 290X is doing same thing and he said that its because his card looses signal due insufficient volts that it suddenly it stops....same issue as ours....i thing the zero core is the bastard.......is there anyway to stop using this crap?

That's completely weird. How can the value of CoreClockTarget be 0 ? And you have no "want_2" ?
"want_0" is supposed to be Idle.
"want_1" is supposed to be 2D Desktop.
"want_2" is supposed to be 3D App.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
No there are people with want_0 and _1 alone...I guess those refer to 2d and 3d..Wierd thing is have 0 as clocktarget...Thsi shows there is someting wrong witht the driver...Can everyone of you post you profile info here?

writteninleaves

Reputable
May 16, 2014

Hmm, I will also try your suggestion, before I'm going to send this back again to Distributor.