Sapphire R7 260x black screen!!!

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Bought a sapphire R7 260x 2gb(says oc edition but core and memory clocks are lesser than referrence) 25 days back.
Whole system is new.Got a black screen just when sitting on the desktop two days after i built the pc.Restarted pc,everythjing fine for 2 weeks,black screen again,all components running fine inside the cabinet,still black screen tried unplugging and replugging DVi cable,no go,monitor still gets signal after black screen.This was with the the driver which came along with the gpu.
Then installed 13.12 from amd webiste,black screen next day,just when browsing the internet.
Uninstalled that too and installed 13.12c from sapphire which had catalyst version 14.1,worked fine for 8 days,black screen again when watching a movie.Movie sound form the speaker turned into a wird long loop,still monitor was recieving signal.So uninstalled that too and installed 14.3 beta.Restarted the pc and when installiong arkham origins,black screen again,restated the pc and uninstalled that too and installed 13.10.Worked fine for one day and black screen again just after starting the system when browsing thorugh my folders on the hard disk.

Everytime i do a clean uninstall and boot into safe mode and run driver sweeper and only then i install another version.

When gaming this has never happened,No heating issue,max temp is 76 even with crysis 3.To be noted:I live in India,chennai.It is summer now and temps are between 35 and 40c outside.

Even tried leaving the system on for 5 minutes after black screen,display does'nt comeback,all components would still be running.I have to hard shut down and restart everytime this happens.

Even before i bought this card i knew many are facing this issue,with all manufacturers like asus,xfx,sapphire and all.Stll took a risk by going with the card.I just wanna know if it is hardware issue or a driver related problem.If its latter i can wait for a table version.Just wanna make sure it is not a hardware issue,if so i will have to rma this card.

I could not relate each occurance with another,happens completely random.Everytime happened under diferrent scenario_Only thing i could get out of those were like the gpu did not have lot of work to do.Was almost at idle.

Tested drivers:
13.20(worked fine for 2 days black screen,again worked fine for 2 weeks,black screen) which came along with the disc(for some reason this was released before 13.10 or 13.12)
13.10(good for 1 day)
13.12(good for 2 days)
13.12c from sapphire website.(good for 8 days)
14.3 beta(not even for 1 hour).

My whole system config is:
I3-3220
Gigabyte B75m-D3h
Corsair value select 4gb 1600mhz ddr3
Seagate barracuda 1 tb
Sapphire R7 260x 2g Gddr5
Power supply:Corsair VS450(UK version)34A on 12v.

Solution
From mtdew332:

"So after two weeks of searching for the cause / solution to my Black Screen issue, I think i've finally nailed it down.
With some help from overclock.net forums.
I'll just quote it here.

(This black screen from power transitions occurs because the memory clock jumps up to full speed (1250, etc), while the GPU voltage (which also controls the IMC--this is the problem) is STILL running at idle volts of 0.9xxx). That idle voltage is too low to handle the IMC, which is controlling the memory running at that speed (this is NOT due to defective memory modules btw), and thus the card black screens.)

The fix, is to increase the GPU voltage, which ALSO increases the idle voltage to the IMC as well. (previous...

Jogden

Reputable
May 24, 2014

how you did it?

abirtj

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Ya dude what do u mean by "moved my memory clock to 750 MHz", like moved your high performance slider to 750MHz?.... :??:

Bagzi

Reputable
May 20, 2014

Omg dude,use software for overclocking(find on google) and reduce memory clock from 1600 to 750 Mhz

abirtj

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

wat was the whole point of buying an r7 series which came overclocked if i have to tone down memory clock?
Thats wat i wanted to kno......na this ain't a fix it for me.......

bayonet14

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Turning down the memory clock doesn't make much of a difference to performance. It's the core clock that's important. Catalyst control center has the adjustment for the memory clock. Go to the Performance - AMD Overdrive and move it.

bayonet14

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011

The R7 series is overclocked, correct. But we have to make adjustments to the memory clock for the sake of stopping crashes and instability.
Not the core clock. For performance, still played Watchdogs and Battlefield 4 smoothly like it should.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Use msi afterburner and lock your 2d clock to 750 mhz,while using 3d applications applications it will automatically adjust and use your original memory clock..To lock 2d clock,drag your memory clock to 750 mhz in afterburner and save the profile and go to settings,select profile and select the saved profile for 2d and enable that profile..When using 3d apps it will release clock speed to its maximum..

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
By the way I'm not having black screen anymore in the past 1month after installing catalyst v14.4 64bit direct from amd. just got one day at the time of booting. Otherwise I didn't get any black screen. Dont know you will believe or not because I'm also didn't get any reason why black screen stopped for me. Using my PC as before

syd_barrett

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Hi guys, I am from Argentina, Buenos Aires.

I tell my problem: I bought a VGA Gigabyte 260x R7 and I have the same problem of the black screen randomly. It happens to 1 time per day.

My PC is:
G 3220 Intel Pentium 3 GHz (2 core)
Mother-dgs h81m Asrock socket 1150
2 x 4 GB DDR3 kingston kvr1333
Source CoolerMaster 600 watts
VGA Ati R7 2GB GDDR5 Gigabyte 260X
HD 1 TB Seagate

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bits

All the PC is new and the windows just installed, I verified that everything works fine with Antivirus, anti malware, search and destroy, cccleaner, HD TUNE to test the hard disk, memtest to test the memory, prime 95 to test the microprocessor and Furmark to see ALL the VGA and walk to perfection.

None of these programs gave me errors, so it seems that the problem of the black screen is VGA.

I was looking 7 pages in detail (using google translator), to inform me. And I can say that in my case this happened:

Just installed the new ati VGA Gigabyte 260x r7, with the latest drivers from AMD catalyst 14.4 and since then always have 1 or 2 black screens every day.

In my case pressing ctrl + alt + del, the black screen disappears and I can enter the "task manager", but also is very annoying and I would like to fix it.

The clocks are my VGA 1188mhz GPU and 1625MHz memory
When I use the cpu to 100% in games, need for speed rivals, or benchmarks, I have no errors black screen. Only when I browse the internet and watch videos on youtube, or leave the pc idle hours.

I recommend to fix this problem?

If I understood well, the possible solutions are:

limit the memory clock vga 500 / 750MHz (2D)

Try installing other drivers, but which?

I suggest?

thank you very much

abirtj

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

ok did it......but msi AB's lowest on my slider for mem clock is 825MHz is it ok?

bayonet14

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
I have 14.6 beta drivers as of now. Goes to show drivers aren't anymore necessary to blame. Use 14.4 since it's more stable. Yes limit it to 750mhz.

@abirtj I don't know why it's 825mhz. Mine is 750mhz on both AB and Catalyst Control Center. 825mhz is fine.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Glad to know your problem is solved..i had to drop memory clock to solve the issue...

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Don't try any drivers,none will fix..Just lock the memory clock at lowest your card offers and you should be good..

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

825mhz should be fine...

rafiiki

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
I can only lower my memory clock to 875 using MSI AB, I have no idea why. I have been using that 2d config for the last week now and although it's more stable, I still get quite a lot of black screens and freezes. Any idea how I can lower it more? Maybe with GPU Tweak. I'll try and post my results.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

I don't think you can lower it further...asus 260x is an overclocked version,so you would have stay with 825 mhz..but you can try lowering it manually with amd profile..

silentspeedz

Honorable
Apr 8, 2014
Hi, I also have this exact problem and thankfully solved it through setting a 2d/3d profile like you guys said but I still get a blue screen sometimes when I try to watch videos on the web. Black screen hasn't happened for awhile after setting up the profiles but the blue screen never seems to go away. Anyone else having this problem? The BSoD code that shows up is 0xA0000001.

bayonet14

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011

Correct me if I'm wrong but blue screens are computer related and black screens are gpu related. Try checking for faulty parts and update your drivers

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

That's not the case...blue screens can be caused by any component...your case seems to be because of flash player and video driver...try completely removing flash player...and then reinstall...

silentspeedz

Honorable
Apr 8, 2014
Okay I completely uninstalled flash player and reinstalled it. I will keep my eyes out for any more BSoD. And I also have one question for the people getting the black screens. As I have said before I set my profiles accordingly and the black screens are completely gone...or so I thought. I just got another black screen but this time it was a bit different. I was on WoW and suddenly a black screen appears and all USB turns off, then the fans suddenly get really loud (maybe running on max) and it just kept on going. Anyone else ever have anything similar to this situation? My prior black screens were silent, it was just the screen going black with fans running on normal speed. I'm guessing maybe this crash wasn't related to the gpu but I'm not so sure.

rafiiki

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
I uninstalled MS AB and installed Asus' GPU Tweak, the 2D memory clock speed and gpu clock speed went lower than AB's, but I still kept having lots of black screens (I've had almost none BSODs) so I uninstalled GPU Tweak and went back to MSI AB. I've just had 2 black screens during this morning, and the 2D memory and core clock speeds are as low as MSI AB allows. Any suggestions?

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

I think in your case the card is faulty..You should rather contact asus..Because we did not have bsods..

Profesorul80

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
do no try anything. isnt your computer fault!
good news for all r7 260x whit 2 GB ram
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R7260XDC2OC2GD5/HelpDesk_Download/
after this update clean your drivers and reinstall the new one.. works for me! is the first time in 3,5 month when my video cards work for hours...
asus change the vbios and everything wok fine now whit my asus r7 260x 2GB DDR5 no more black screen no more green screen.no more Bsod.
please share this link over internet
remaining some problem whit MB bios.. please change: no errors.
that is all. i hope this help..
my spec:
asus m2n e MB
cpu amd athlon x2 4200
6 GB ddram2 corsair
470 w thermaltake

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

Its for ASUS only. For me its telling I dont need to update VBIOS.
Sapphire didn't do anything for us. :(