Sapphire R7 260x black screen!!!

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Bought a sapphire R7 260x 2gb(says oc edition but core and memory clocks are lesser than referrence) 25 days back.
Whole system is new.Got a black screen just when sitting on the desktop two days after i built the pc.Restarted pc,everythjing fine for 2 weeks,black screen again,all components running fine inside the cabinet,still black screen tried unplugging and replugging DVi cable,no go,monitor still gets signal after black screen.This was with the the driver which came along with the gpu.
Then installed 13.12 from amd webiste,black screen next day,just when browsing the internet.
Uninstalled that too and installed 13.12c from sapphire which had catalyst version 14.1,worked fine for 8 days,black screen again when watching a movie.Movie sound form the speaker turned into a wird long loop,still monitor was recieving signal.So uninstalled that too and installed 14.3 beta.Restarted the pc and when installiong arkham origins,black screen again,restated the pc and uninstalled that too and installed 13.10.Worked fine for one day and black screen again just after starting the system when browsing thorugh my folders on the hard disk.

Everytime i do a clean uninstall and boot into safe mode and run driver sweeper and only then i install another version.

When gaming this has never happened,No heating issue,max temp is 76 even with crysis 3.To be noted:I live in India,chennai.It is summer now and temps are between 35 and 40c outside.

Even tried leaving the system on for 5 minutes after black screen,display does'nt comeback,all components would still be running.I have to hard shut down and restart everytime this happens.

Even before i bought this card i knew many are facing this issue,with all manufacturers like asus,xfx,sapphire and all.Stll took a risk by going with the card.I just wanna know if it is hardware issue or a driver related problem.If its latter i can wait for a table version.Just wanna make sure it is not a hardware issue,if so i will have to rma this card.

I could not relate each occurance with another,happens completely random.Everytime happened under diferrent scenario_Only thing i could get out of those were like the gpu did not have lot of work to do.Was almost at idle.

Tested drivers:
13.20(worked fine for 2 days black screen,again worked fine for 2 weeks,black screen) which came along with the disc(for some reason this was released before 13.10 or 13.12)
13.10(good for 1 day)
13.12(good for 2 days)
13.12c from sapphire website.(good for 8 days)
14.3 beta(not even for 1 hour).

My whole system config is:
I3-3220
Gigabyte B75m-D3h
Corsair value select 4gb 1600mhz ddr3
Seagate barracuda 1 tb
Sapphire R7 260x 2g Gddr5
Power supply:Corsair VS450(UK version)34A on 12v.

Solution
From mtdew332:

"So after two weeks of searching for the cause / solution to my Black Screen issue, I think i've finally nailed it down.
With some help from overclock.net forums.
I'll just quote it here.

(This black screen from power transitions occurs because the memory clock jumps up to full speed (1250, etc), while the GPU voltage (which also controls the IMC--this is the problem) is STILL running at idle volts of 0.9xxx). That idle voltage is too low to handle the IMC, which is controlling the memory running at that speed (this is NOT due to defective memory modules btw), and thus the card black screens.)

The fix, is to increase the GPU voltage, which ALSO increases the idle voltage to the IMC as well. (previous...

t4les

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

If you have the right BIOS of your card, do it, because is soooooooooooooooooooooooo fast, I think in one sec the flashing is done.

Jeizer

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
Hi everybody, before of all, I want to say thankyou for all your help.

I have the same problem with the black screen today I already changed the mhz with msi afterburner, but i wanna change the VBIOS aswell.

I´ve downloaded the t4les´s and Profesorul80´s BIOS and when I try to flash, it looks like if the BIOS will install but then, appears a message saying "No Valid Adapter could be found! Video BIOS not updated!"

Does somebody know what i am doing wrong?

Sorry for my English

AB09C6DC0.png

411C70BDE.png

t4les

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

I did this using a Pen Drive, on my files there is a PDF that teaches how it should be done.

What is your MB?

berocent

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

hm make sure u have latest drivers installed

Jeizer

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014

Thanks for answering, I'm gonna see that PDF.

My mobo is a m5a97 r2.0.

I uninstalled the newest drivers and installed Catalyst V13.10 from the sapphire´s web, should I install the 13.2c or 14.4?

Also wanted to tell you, the black screen doesn't appear anymore since yesterday with the mhz change.

quaidorsay

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
I have the same Saphire R7 260x card.

I followed the examples above and I updated with the ASUS R7 260x bios drivers. Make sure you use the force command as shown in the example and change to the right ROM that is mentioned.

Then I downloaded display driver uninstaller, google that. Uninstall the AMD and Intel drivers, reinstall with the latest ones, then I installed the latest intel drivers then the latest amd catylst drivers.

It seemed better, but I still had a black screen but now, only difference is it happens less often.

It seems to happen when the computer decides to go to sleep mode or when the computer is idle, it turns off the monitor and the issues seem to arise again. When the monitor turns on, my main monitor in my three monitor setup (2x DVI, 1x HDMI), the main dvi turns off (Black Screen) and the 1x DVI and 1 HDMI is still on.

I have the latest Motherboard BIOS and now, from the saphire r7 260x (bios) to an asus r7 260x bios. Hopefully Asus will keep releasing new bios' for this card, it's the only chance you have to solve this problem

or get a Nvidia Geforce 750 instead as many have done.

This I believe is a problem derived from AMD itself as it seems to be happening to nearly all R7 260x's.

Good luck

rafiiki

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014

Yeah, I had something similar happen to me. So I configured my pc to not go to sleep mode. I haven't had a single black screen or BSOD since, but I still have some artifacting. That's a lot less annoying than black screens or BSODs but it's annoying nonetheless, so I hope they solve that issue too.

d2kx

Reputable
Jul 11, 2014
I am running this new Sapphire VBIOS on my ASUS 260X OC and it basicly fixes all issues. A lot better than the shitty ASUS VBIOS update that disabled PowerPlay and still had lots of artifacts.

Thank you whoever uploaded it!

sebawarman

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014
I just bought a Sapphire R7 260x video card, it has been 2 days and i got my first Blue screen ( i was watching youtube on full screen)

It shows that my ATIKMDAG.sys was causing the trouble. I did uninstall the driver and install it again and so far didnt have any trouble.

My pc specs:
MB: Asus M5A97 EVO
CPU: AMD Phenom II 2.7 GHz, 3.2 GHz turbo core
RAM: Vengence Corsair 4GB ddr3
Power: Sentey 650w plus 80 Solid power SDP650SS.

Like i said no problem but that 1 blue screen, is there any chance my RAM or CPU/MB/Power / are too old? i bought them at 2012.

I saw that lots of people with the R7 260x got blue screens or black monitors, should i flash my bios to a newer version? or just leave it there?
it just happened again, was playing a game (LOL) and suddenly the computer freezes, the screen goes black and stays like that for many minutes, i had to restart and got no problem... but i dont know how to fix this random black screen, i dont know what can i do. Im afraid because everyone said that had no problem with gaming ...

Should i do the GHZ memory thing? how do i do that? please help i dont know if i should flash my MB bios or graphics bios or just do the memory clock amd catalyst thing

d2kx

Reputable
Jul 11, 2014

Which Sapphire card do you have? The very small one with 1050 GPU core clock and 1500 GPU mem clock or the bigger one with 1150 GPU core clock and 1650 GPU mem clock? See the first image here: http://www.legitreviews.com/sapphire-radeon-r7-260x-2gb-oc-2x-dvi-video-card-review_134526

If you have the bigger one/right side, you should definitly flash the VBIOS as soon as possible. If you have the smaller one... well, I'd still flash it, but no one has done it with this card so far I think (but it should work).

Your system is fine/not too old.

sebawarman

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014

I have the one on the left, the smaller one.
Im having the same issues that many people, black screens, and only 1 blue screen. Both happened when i was playing League.
I never flash'd my MB or Graphics, im kinda afraid to do it, dont know where to get the file and how to do it.
Right now i did the 750hz thing on the Amd catalyst overdrive part (memory clock), so far nothing happened but its random when i get the black screens, could u explain me more what should i do?

Btw i use a HDMI connector i dont know if that tells something

I really thank you for helping me!

Pd: sorry bad english

d2kx

Reputable
Jul 11, 2014

I have checked and it seems the smaller Sapphire you have uses the same flash chips as the other ones, so that is good news. However, it seems there is a 1GB and 2GB version of it. Check if you have the 2GB version. If you do, then proceed:

I have prepared a small package for you. Download it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8TL2vfH8OJ1MzBYOEZuNmZ0ZmM/edit?usp=sharing

Click the "download here" icon on top of the page. Extract the .zip archive to e.g. C:\ or D:\ or whatever you like (a short path is better). Then you should have a folder C:\vbios\ with a lot of files in it.

Then you will need to open a command prompt as administrator. Open your start menu (shouldn't matter if Windows 7 or 8) and type "cmd". It should show you the application "Windows Command Processor" or "Command Prompt" or just "cmd.exe" as a result. Right click it and select "as Administrator" or similar.

You should now have an admin command prompt that is currently within "C:\Windows\system32\". We now need to navigate to the "vbios" folder you downloaded/extracted from my .zip file. You can do that with "cd folder_name" to go deeper and "cd .." (yes, two points), to go up. So if you extracted my .zip to C:\, then you need to do "cd .." and enter and then another "cd .." and enter and you should be in "C:\" now. Then do a "cd vbios" and enter and you should be in the right path.

Now you need to type these two commands:

atiwinflash.exe -unlockrom 0
<press enter>

atiwinflash.exe -f -p 0 253T04H0.O45
<press enter>

It will take 2-3 minutes or so to finish. Then reboot. It should work just fine, but understand that I am not responsible if you run into any problems. However, even if the VBIOS does not work well with your card, it is fairly easy to revert back to the VBIOS you have right now.

sebawarman

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014

I dont know if this might help but i had another graphics before this one and now i remember that before it died , started doing the same thing, i was playing and at some point it just freezes ( with the audio freeze too ) then went into black screen and happened the same thing, the only difference was that after that happened to my old graphics then my MB wouldnt recognize it... thats why i bought this one...
Maybe is another problema my black screen??

I tested my RAM and didnt throw any errors.

sebawarman

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014
i flashed my MB and havent got a problem yet... i hope that fix my problem, im tired of this black screens
I did switched my HDMI cable for a DVI one, maybe the monitor incorporated speakers were doing something wrong.

if i keep getting the black screen while playing should i test my PSU?

bayonet14

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
I want to update my vbios too with the sapphire bios update. I have r7 260x 2GB OC edition (not the 2x DVI). I can follow the steps in updating my vbios however I'm not sure if the ones posted here are compatible to mine and I searched techpowerup.com for sapphire vbios updates. The ones there are currently the same with my vbios version. What's the updated vbios version?

Jeizer

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014

Thank you so much dude.
I wasn't able to flash the bios, but I follow your steps and it works perfect!

Jeizer

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014

I have a similar model, or even the same. look at your box, my card is SKU 11222-069-20g

watch the d2kx´s tutorial it worked for me.

bayonet14

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011

Just set the memory clock to 750 or 850mhz. You can do it with catalyst control center. Works with me

sebawarman

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014

Just happened to me again the black screen. i was watching a twitch stream and then the screen went black ( a few white things before going 100% black) but the audio kept going for like 30 seconds then stopped.
The computer didnt turn off or anything, it was just a black screen with no audio...

BTW i need to activate the "AMD overdrive " in catalyst an put the memory clock in that range?
i leave everything else intact?