Sapphire R7 260x black screen!!!

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Bought a sapphire R7 260x 2gb(says oc edition but core and memory clocks are lesser than referrence) 25 days back.
Whole system is new.Got a black screen just when sitting on the desktop two days after i built the pc.Restarted pc,everythjing fine for 2 weeks,black screen again,all components running fine inside the cabinet,still black screen tried unplugging and replugging DVi cable,no go,monitor still gets signal after black screen.This was with the the driver which came along with the gpu.
Then installed 13.12 from amd webiste,black screen next day,just when browsing the internet.
Uninstalled that too and installed 13.12c from sapphire which had catalyst version 14.1,worked fine for 8 days,black screen again when watching a movie.Movie sound form the speaker turned into a wird long loop,still monitor was recieving signal.So uninstalled that too and installed 14.3 beta.Restarted the pc and when installiong arkham origins,black screen again,restated the pc and uninstalled that too and installed 13.10.Worked fine for one day and black screen again just after starting the system when browsing thorugh my folders on the hard disk.

Everytime i do a clean uninstall and boot into safe mode and run driver sweeper and only then i install another version.

When gaming this has never happened,No heating issue,max temp is 76 even with crysis 3.To be noted:I live in India,chennai.It is summer now and temps are between 35 and 40c outside.

Even tried leaving the system on for 5 minutes after black screen,display does'nt comeback,all components would still be running.I have to hard shut down and restart everytime this happens.

Even before i bought this card i knew many are facing this issue,with all manufacturers like asus,xfx,sapphire and all.Stll took a risk by going with the card.I just wanna know if it is hardware issue or a driver related problem.If its latter i can wait for a table version.Just wanna make sure it is not a hardware issue,if so i will have to rma this card.

I could not relate each occurance with another,happens completely random.Everytime happened under diferrent scenario_Only thing i could get out of those were like the gpu did not have lot of work to do.Was almost at idle.

Tested drivers:
13.20(worked fine for 2 days black screen,again worked fine for 2 weeks,black screen) which came along with the disc(for some reason this was released before 13.10 or 13.12)
13.10(good for 1 day)
13.12(good for 2 days)
13.12c from sapphire website.(good for 8 days)
14.3 beta(not even for 1 hour).

My whole system config is:
I3-3220
Gigabyte B75m-D3h
Corsair value select 4gb 1600mhz ddr3
Seagate barracuda 1 tb
Sapphire R7 260x 2g Gddr5
Power supply:Corsair VS450(UK version)34A on 12v.

Solution
From mtdew332:

"So after two weeks of searching for the cause / solution to my Black Screen issue, I think i've finally nailed it down.
With some help from overclock.net forums.
I'll just quote it here.

(This black screen from power transitions occurs because the memory clock jumps up to full speed (1250, etc), while the GPU voltage (which also controls the IMC--this is the problem) is STILL running at idle volts of 0.9xxx). That idle voltage is too low to handle the IMC, which is controlling the memory running at that speed (this is NOT due to defective memory modules btw), and thus the card black screens.)

The fix, is to increase the GPU voltage, which ALSO increases the idle voltage to the IMC as well. (previous...

cozzix1337

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
So i had the same problem.... When i stared my computer it showed me the windows logo... then it got dark... sometimes it did show the welcome screen for a few seconds and then it went black or it froze. then i went for a older driver and it was 14.1 it did go on the desktop but it froze if i was idle... i went to 14.4 and it didint work.

Then i uninstalled the old driver and instaled 14.7.
this driver is working for me... i can idle and it doesent crash, i can play games it has good preformance.. but if my computer is off and i turn it off it needs a couple of tries... i reset it 2-3 times and it works... So thats the best fix till now i think. + i dont get any ingame artifacts.

bayonet14

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
I underclocked my core clock from 1050mhz to 1000mhz and used msi afterburner to keep my gpu cool. Seems to work for me (for now), still waiting for problems before I declare this a fix (again). It's strange how the 260X fan speed is at 20% desktop mode or gaming mode. I suppose this is what people meant by an 'overheating issue'. It reaches up to 85C under heavy load. Now my temp is 75C max with a custom fan curve from msi afterburner.

bayonet14

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011

Try using 14.12. There are many methods to fix this issue but let's start with that. Don't forget to use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to remove your old driver. Download your driver from AMD or your manufacturer's website and install.

KermexRPG

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
I have the R7 260X 2GB GDDR5 OC and this problem is really killing me. First I thought that the problem was a broken card but now I'm really sure that is a fucking driver problem, AMD always has issues with his drivers, its really annoying.

I'm using Win 8.1 x64 with the lastest 14.12 omega drivers and only a black screen while I was on youtube.

Sorry for my horrible engilsh guys.

bayonet14

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011

RMA the card if you can and get another card besides amd. I have sold my r7 260x and bought a GTX 750 ti. Never been happier in all my life.

josecabreton

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
I do what everybody says, underclock mem to 750mhz, but when i do this my computer start to crash really bad. Help please :(

pd: I try 14.9 and 14.12 drivers. The two give me black screens

Goran 1987

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
Hello guys! I also have r7 260x oc 2gb from sapphire and suffer from black screen. Not in games only when there is not to much load on the card like browsing or idling on desktop. I can play for hours and the card is fine. I started happening two weeks after i build my rig and continued happening random every 10-15 days. I flashed the bios and it didnt helped. i have sent the pc to service and they said that they didnt find anything and it is ok. Tried to install all of the available drivers, same problem. The longest time without a black screen was 1 month, and its just crazy. i pulled out my graphics card 1 month ago and now im working on integrated graphics and there is no problem. I will buy gtx 750 ti as a replacement but i dont know what to do with r7 260x, the service says that there is no problem but we all know that there is. I might aswell throw it in the trash. :/

cwongqf

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015

It is not PSU issue confirm. I'm running SilverStone Strider 80+ 400W. Even when under concurrent Prime 95 CPU and Furmark GPU stress test, the system was fully stable for 2 hrs without crashing. The moment i finish stress test and let it idle for a while, i get a black screen. hate it... hate it... all these trouble shooting.

Alienu1988

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
@jayadratha and @Aravind92 - Just got myself a R7 260 (without the X)...about 2 hours ago. Already black screen, twice.
So i found this thread...since 2014, and read all the damn 9 pages. :D And i see u`r at 2015 already...and no solution?

So i`m asking u two, because i saw that you guys are the oldest here and tryed almost everything. What can i doooo? :(
I just made the account only because i was here for about 1 hour and read all this. :)

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

If you can still return the card,dump it and go for 750 or 750 Ti...If not the best option is to lock the memory clock to minimum for 2d work with afterburner(and do not have ccc starting with windows)...locking memory has been the solution for me(not a solution really,but a work around shall we say)...

BTW you have the solution in page 6..

Alienu1988

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
I know, i actually saved a few things in a text doc.
I changed the driver to the latest, the 15.x beta and it didn`t go BS anymore...but still, it`s only a day and i saw u guys had 2 weeks of no bs. :)
I won`t return it, because i got it second hand (maybe this is the reason the guy sold it)...and extremly cheap. I got it for 40$...after i sold my 4 years old HD5770 with the same money, 40$. So i`m pretty happy even with the BS...

Thanks a lot for this big thread anyway! :D

Biajja Chiemara

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
I was having some blank screen issues with my XFX Dual dissipation r7 260x 2gb card off and on, and usually a restart fixed it.

Yesterday plugged in a new HDMI cable (not my usual gold tipped one) and after windows 7 logo just before login screen, the screen kept going blank and not coming back up

I tried each of the hdmi ports to no change.

then flashed new bios to the card, reset my mainboard bios, nothing was working

Then I tried swapping cables, and viola... screen came back.

So, it ended up being the cable.

Maybe some of you having blank screen might want to try a different cable if you haven't already.

Working on computers and networks, building and troubleshooting them since 1996... It didn't dawn on me until last that the cable was the culprit.

Considering I had video up until the login AND I had video on desktop if I removed my ATI drivers.

Meaning going into safe mode, using DDU from Guru 3d and removing all ATI drivers and references, to Standard VGA driver, I could boot normally and see my desktop.

Cable was an Omni 12' HDMI from Walmart.

Normally I have a gold tipped Vizio 6' cable but my brother has it and has yet to drop it off to me.

The cable I switched to was another 6' cable but standard tip.

the TV I am using is a Sharp 42" Aquos Quattron

d2kx

Reputable
Jul 11, 2014
There is no a proper VBIOS update for this issue for *all* ASUS R7 260X cards (1GB, 2GB, nonOC and OC).

dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/ATI/R7260X_biosupdate_tool.rar

m42BMW

Reputable
May 12, 2015
I was having random black screen in windows and unreliable gaming experience on my r7 260x 2GB OC. After much searching, reading these threads, and trying the many "fixes", I was still having the random black screen... The only thing that "worked" was throttling my memory clock to 850mhz... Which is basically unacceptable. Why have the card if it's underclocked right? After digging around in MSI Afterburner I found where you can set a 2D profile and 3D profile. So I set up a 2D profile with Afterburner, underclocking the core clock to 600mhz/mem clock to 850mhz/25% fan speed and set a 3D profile to the normal 1160mhz core and 1650mhz mem clocks along with 60% fan speed, and chose to apply the underclocked settings when starting windows. Then I disabled AMD's CCC Graphic's OverDrive control so that Afterburner would have control. Now in Windows my clocks don't go past 600/850 and in game they run full 1160/1650. I have not had any black screens in windows/web browsing since applying these settings.

EDIT: Found that reboot would cause MSI to not auto-switch profiles, so current workaround is manually selecting profiles via hotkey when switching from windows to game.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

This same work around is already selected as solution.

zemie

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
I built a new PC about 4 months ago and I'm using the sapphire R7 260X 2GB factory OC as my GPU. No black screen problems until last night where I've been having a problem, when i turn on my PC, I get a black screen with no cursor or anything after the windows logo shows up. I've tried everything such as restoring to an earlier point in time and performing a system repair but nothing has changed. I can run windows in safe mofe with no problem. Also I tried removing my GPU from the system and plugging my monitor directly into my motherboard and that DID work properly, system came up as it normally would. Does this mean that the problem is what yours was, meaning from the GPU mhz , and if it is how will i be able to lower it as I cant get to my desktop in anyway or is it a GPU hardware issue?
Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Doesn't seem to be like our problem.
Still,have you tried booting into safe mode with the gpu?

zemie

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015

Yes I can run safe mode with the gpu
UPDATE: I just turned on my pc and let it sit on the black screen for about an hour and then the PC came up and everything worked fine, I restarted to see if i have to wait that long again and yes. So basically after the windows logo there is a long wait on a black screen (about 40 mninutes) until the "Welcome" screen shows up, this is really weird. Any suggestions on what this could be?

DarkXPSX

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

Do you still have the VBIOS or a newer one for the card? When I click on your Google Drive link, Google tells me that the file does not exist.

Thank you.

deFreitas

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
I have fixed this issue with the follows.

Decreasing the GPU clock. my GPU default clock is 1180 I drecrease it to 1154, no black screen anymore.

The bad news is that I will can not overclock my GPU.

Jogden

Reputable
May 24, 2014

I deactivate the Automatic "turn off display after..." and no more blackscreen, now I use bubbles screensaver... and the power button on my monitor.

No more clocks