Sapphire R9 270 + FX 8320... why the chop/hiccups? realistic expectations?

tonepv

Reputable
May 14, 2014
My System:
MSI 970a-g46 motherboard
FX-8320 cpu
Sapphire R9 270 2GB gpu
G Skill Ripjaws 4GB x 2
Rosewill 600w psu
1tb HD toshiba sata
Raidmax Super Viper case
3 120mm case fans - front/back/side
windows 8.1

Hey guys, I hadn't built a system in maybe 10 years, so thought it would be fun to get something going between $600-800 and built the above economic system for gaming, with the idea of some upgrades in the future. I am mostly very happy with the build for the value...

I have read and watched YouTube videos of other people with the same CPU+GPU, maxing out settings on newer games such as Thief or Tomb Raider with no problems. Some of these people are using less powerful CPUs as well. For me, if I max out or even *almost* max out settings, I have a strange, annoying chop that happens as I move the mouse around in the environment. I get constant little hiccups that look like the screen skipping, yet my FPS remains to be strong in benchmarking while it happens, maybe between 40 and 60fps.

I have tried the latest drivers and uninstalling/reinstalling them.

Any suggestions? Should I consider more memory, another 8 perhaps? A friend told me that more memory in that system wouldn't change that gaming issue too much and that I should be able to run smoothly... I'm not overclocking anything, and I am using stock CPU fan, but in this case would an after market fan really matter with this combo since the CPU outweighs the GPU as it is? Maybe this CPU and GPU shouldn't be able to run smoothly at max settings in those games and I have unrealistic expectations? I would have no problem with that scenario, it's just the examples out there from other builders seem to show otherwise, and I can't figure out why.

Any help, ideas or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
no issues there then.

I'd recommend monitoring CPU and GPU temps while you are gaming and see what readings come back.

High temps can degrade performance, so it's worth checking them. Especially with the stock cpu cooler, it really doesn't do a good job.

blockhead78

Distinguished
I had the exact same issue.

Decent frame rate, but mouse movement would be choppy in most games.

Turned out it was because I was using a low end budget mouse.

Got myself a Corsair Raptor M40, problem solved.

What mouse are you using?

tonepv

Reputable
May 14, 2014

Thanks for fast response, I have an razor mx series mouse. I do get the chop/hiccups despite mouse movement as well (like benchmarking tests in game or certain cinematic breaks).

blockhead78

Distinguished
no issues there then.

I'd recommend monitoring CPU and GPU temps while you are gaming and see what readings come back.

High temps can degrade performance, so it's worth checking them. Especially with the stock cpu cooler, it really doesn't do a good job.

Solution

sajitha wewegama

Distinguished
May 6, 2014

Strange i run a 270x with my fx6300 and it runs fine.check if everything is installed correctly