Sapphire R9 280x Tri-x OC graphic weirdness - check the pics out and advise

Red_Sun

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Hey gang. Got bored the other day and fired up the original Dead Space. Using a SAPPHIRE (100363-4L Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 Tri-X OC version). Notice a few weird things, including graphic stuttering/slow down during some minor cut-scenes. Then I notices strange black lines that I verified were not there with my old known good 6950 card. See attached pics. You can see the black lines run diagonally down from the upper left of the far end of the corridor, near the door. They move from left to right with various thickness when the character moves closer or farther away. Tried a few things, turning V-Sync on/off, re-installing drivers, and swapping cards as previously stated. Help is appreciated. I like the card, but it should be delivering better performance than this on an older game.

Tri-X:

Tri-X

Known good card (6950):

http://

Thanks

System specs:
Win 7 Pro 64
Catalyst Omega (what the newest one is)
Phenom II x4 980
ASROCK 990fx Extreme 4
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Themaltake 850 W PSU TR2 RX

LB3

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014

I'd give it a couple of days... But, I have a Tri-X Vapor-X (blue) version of the 280X and haven't noticed any issues. But, I'm not playing any games older than StarCraft II (2010-ish).

My best guess it that it's the software (the game itself). It was made for an older generation of vid cards and drivers. These types of graphical issues are common when running an older game with newer drivers/hardware.

My system specs also seem to be in-line with yours as far as being from the Windows 7-era. If I launch any older games and notice anything I'll be sure to post again.