Sapphire R9 290 system freezes, BIOS Hard Reset. Please Help

IPMD94

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
Hey everyone,

(system specs at the end).

I bought a used Sapphire R9 290 off eBay a year ago for just under the market price. When I received the GPU, the card had been messed with internally. The previous owner had taken the thermal paste off for some reason so I reapplied it and it worked properly.

However, occasionally during random times when either playing games or using Adobe products such as Adobe After Effects, the system stops responding. First the main program I am using crashes, then system folders and simple tasks follow and freeze up. Once I manually restart, the PC would get stuck on the initial BIOS logo screen. In order for me to boot I would have to hard reset the BIOS (short circuit the two pins on the motherboard). The PC would work fine for a few hours until it will start the problems again. But really its random because sometimes I can play games max settings with no issues for days. Every manual restart requires me to hard reset the BIOS with the R9 290.

When I swap out the GPU for a Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870, I no longer suffer these symptoms. So obviously its the R9 290. The reason why I'm writing is because even though it is the GPU, I'm not sure if the GPU is conflicting with software/other hardware or if the GPU is simply faulty. And why do I always have to hard reset the bios every time?

I run the GPU stock,
I have up to date Drivers,
Updated Bios versions,
Flashed up to date VBIOS,
Running MSI Afterburner to Force constant Voltage and Disable ULPS.
GPU idle temp: 43C, Max: 94C, 20-50% fan speed.
During crashes, GPU usage drops to 0%

SPECS:

Windows 10,
Sapphire Radeon R9 290,
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU,
Corsair CX750 PSU,
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 Motherboard
8GB RAM: two Kingmax Semiconductor FLGF65F-C8KK9A 4GB

Thanks for your help.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

I would try a different power supply, the corsair cx are very poor and are notorious for dying early

IPMD94

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015

I actually had a 450w psu before hand and thought it was the power supply, so I bought this one a few weeks ago brand new. So it's not that.

Thanks for the reply though