Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X graphic problems

MrHaamu

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2013
Hello,
i have had my pc for about a year and i have a problem that is really annoying. When i try to play games on fullscreen, it looks awful. Theres small black bars on the sides of my screen, the colors are awful (yellowish). I dont have the problem when im playing on windowed or windowed fullscreen. But the moment i change to fullscreen the problems happen. I have this problem with allmost all of my games. Examples of games that have this problem are: Arma II, CS:GO, Battlefield 3, World of Tanks and so on. I have reinstalled all the drivers for my gpu and tweaked every possible setting in each game, AMD Catalyst Control Center but cant find a solution. These are my specs:

Processor: i5 4670k @4.3GHz, Noctua NH-9B SE2
GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4gb
RAM: 2x4GB 1600mhz, 2x2GB 1600mhz
Operating System:Windows 8.1 64bit
Samsung 840 EVO 120gb (operating system)
Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB HDD (evertything else)

Regards,
MrHaamu

MrHaamu

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2013
I used the program and deleted all old drivers, installed the latest one you sent. The desktop looked as bad as the games on fullscreen and i changed it to RGB 4:4:4 pixel format and now the desktop looks normal. But the games still as bad as they used to :/

MrHaamu

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2013
Im running 1920x1080 so its the proper resolution. I havent tried any other display outputs, becouse my screen supports HDMI, VGA and my GPU only supports HDMI, VGI, displayport.

MrHaamu

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2013
I didnt get a DVI-HDMI adapter with the graphics card, but i dont think its a problem with the monitor. Becouse it works fine as long as the game is not on fullscreen. Im wondering if its that CCC implements/ does not implement some graphic settings when a program is on fullscreen. Becouse when its not fullscreen CCC might think you are just "on your desktop" and doesnt implement any settings (just guessing though).

No I was actually thinking there may of been an issue with the port on the card itself.

MrHaamu

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2013
Ok, i just started bf3 in fullscreen and it looked bad again. I went to graphics, all on ultra but then i noticed something weird. Even though i have a 60hz monitor the game is running at 59. something. My desktop is at 60Hz so when i go fullscreen it changes to 59hz and makes it look really bad. Is there a way to lock it in 60Hz? I allready tried a program called PowerStrip, but when bf3 starts the program crashes....

It's funny you mention that. Recently I noticed that my games are all set to 59hz as well, without the option for 60hz. I just went into screen properties and noticed it was set to 59hz for some reason as well. Well I just changed it to 60hz, and there don't seem to be a difference. Other than a complete reinstall for windows I don't really see anything else you can try honestly, so I would try a fresh install first. If that doesn't work then I would contact Sapphire customer support here: https://support.sapphiretech.com/presentation/member/member_login.aspx

MrHaamu

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2013
Ok, i just remembered i had a program that i used when i tried to fix the problem for World of Tanks. The program makes the windowed program look like its fullscreen. It didnt work with World of Tanks but when i tried to use it with BF3 it worked. So now i can play BF3 on fullscreen windowed and it looks like its supposed to. Only problem is that the program doesnt work with all of my games..