Sapphire R9 390X Black Screen Crash (Out Of Ideas!)

Aug 13, 2018
Hello,

I had made a post last night, but I had included a pastebin url of the even log. I wonder if that's why I can't find my thread at the moment.

My brother has a Sapphire R9 390X in his computer and it is currently going through a black screen issue. While my brother is playing games, his screen goes black, and the audio gets stuck in about a 2-second audio loop. Only thing you can do is hold the power button. This began to happen once in a while in May, and then it became far more common to the point now that it happens every 20 minutes.

Onboard graphics work without issue.

I have tried updating drivers as well as rolling them back without effect. I ran the RAM through four passes of Memtest, and it was clean each time.

MSI Afterburner showed the card increased from 20% usage to 27% usage when playing a game prior to crashing, and the temperature never went past 32 degrees.

I've run multiple virus scans out of an abundance of caution to ensure there were no mining viruses (though the 27% usage suggests that it's unlikely to be the case). It was entirely clean each time.

Finally, I opened the card, inspected it for any visual defects/burn marks/blown components, and i also applied new thermal paste, as the older stuff seemed dried out.

I'm just not sure what else to try.

Thank you.

Solution
I had a similar issue with my 390X, same card. Ended up closeting my PC for over a year. What I did was this: took out the GPU, popped out the CMOS battery on the mobo, let it sit for a few minutes. Put the battery back in and power up. You should have the Windows error repair fix screen, no worries. Once that's finished, turn off the dedicated graphics. Should be in system management or something. Then power down (normally so it saves settings) pop the card back in, and power up. That fixed it for me. Mine started like that, black screens every now and then. They'd last for a few seconds than the game would come back. I'd have to alt-tab but they worked. Then it got longer and longer until finally the TV didn't even get signal. It'd...
Aug 13, 2018

Apologies for the delay. I had to dig back a bit for the specifics.

CPU - Intel Core BX80646I74790K i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)
GPU - Sapphire Radeon R9 390X, I believe 8GB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR3 2400MHz PC3 19200 Desktop, Red CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ GOLD, 750W
Motherboard - Gigabyte ATX DDR3 LGA 1150 SATA DIMM 6Gb/s Motherboard (GA-Z97X-UD3H)
OS - Windows 10
GPU Driver is currently at 18.8.1, I believe.

Aug 29, 2018
I had a similar issue with my 390X, same card. Ended up closeting my PC for over a year. What I did was this: took out the GPU, popped out the CMOS battery on the mobo, let it sit for a few minutes. Put the battery back in and power up. You should have the Windows error repair fix screen, no worries. Once that's finished, turn off the dedicated graphics. Should be in system management or something. Then power down (normally so it saves settings) pop the card back in, and power up. That fixed it for me. Mine started like that, black screens every now and then. They'd last for a few seconds than the game would come back. I'd have to alt-tab but they worked. Then it got longer and longer until finally the TV didn't even get signal. It'd power on, but no log in screen or anything, just black screen. I know the frustration lol. If that doesn't work, it has to be either a faulty card or something with the PC itself. I doubt it's the card, since he's been using it for a long while. Card is over three years old now.

Side note, make sure he knows older DX9 games on Windows 10 only use 4gb's of that 8gb goodness. Windows had a brain fart and screwed it all up in production. Lol.

Solution