Question Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 driver install crash

Apr 6, 2020
Hi,

I recently booted up my old pc, it hasn't been used for a couple of years. The CPU, Graphics Card and MOBO are still the same since then. In order to start the pc i bought a new PSU, RAM and a cpu cooler.
First installed Windows 10 Pro without the HD 6850 and installed the latest updates.
Windows 10 Pro runs good and integrated graphics driver from AMD also installed fine.

When i install the HD 6850 and run the latest driver setup from AMD the screen flickers once and turns black without a cursor, after 10 seconds the pc shuts down and restarts , screen stays black and still nothing happend after 4 hours.

Things i have already done:
  • Installed latest BIOS from Asus.
  • Uninstalled drivers with DDU in safe mode. Clean install drivers, still nothing.
  • Installed other GPU driver (Radeon 3400 Series), installed normally and runs good.
  • Cleared CMOS.
  • Switched RAM slots.
  • Installed latest chipset drivers.
  • New thermalpaste on GPU heatsink.
I don't know what the problem can be?

Specs:
  • Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
  • AMD Phenom X4 965 BE
  • Corsair DDR3 Vengeance LP 2x8GB 1600
  • Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB
  • Corsair VS550
  • WD20EZRZ 2TB
  • CoolerMaster TX3 Evo

Apr 6, 2020
I'm not quite clear on why you're running drivers form the 3400 series when you have an HD 6850.

Why not use the Windows 10 drivers from here?

I tested with the 3400 series because i thought it was a problem with the Mobo. When the 3400 Series seems working fine i DDU those drivers and removed the GPU. After that i put the HD 6850 in and already installed the drivers you suggested. And that won't work.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Dang, not sure why that would be the case: doing DDU then installing the 6850 drivers should've done the trick.

I guess it's possible that the PSU is at issue - the VS series from Corsair are generally not recommended, though, being brand new, it shouldn't have a problem with that combination of hardware. I don't suppose you have another power supply you can try on it temporarily?

Another thought - can you try doing a clean-install with the 6850 card installed from the beginning? Don't install drivers, or anything, just let Windows 10 install and do whatever it wants to do by default, and see if things generally work without the black screen issues.

I'll admit I'm kind of taking a stab in the dark here...

Apr 6, 2020
Dang, not sure why that would be the case: doing DDU then installing the 6850 drivers should've done the trick.

I guess it's possible that the PSU is at issue - the VS series from Corsair are generally not recommended, though, being brand new, it shouldn't have a problem with that combination of hardware. I don't suppose you have another power supply you can try on it temporarily?

Another thought - can you try doing a clean-install with the 6850 card installed from the beginning? Don't install drivers, or anything, just let Windows 10 install and do whatever it wants to do by default, and see if things generally work without the black screen issues.

I'll admit I'm kind of taking a stab in the dark here...

PSU is brand new, bought it last week, i'll DDU all the drivers and let windows install by itself. Accidentally i have a few spare PSU's and i will hook up the GPU separately if the windows install didn't work.
Otherwise i don't know it anymore.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Let me know how it goes - I have to admit, this is kind of baffling.

I guess it just might be that the GPU is dying, but I couldn't say for sure. I suppose if you have another PC to test it in, you could try out the video card in another system and see if it behaves itself there, just to see if it's maybe a dying GPU, or instead something specific to that older PC.

Apr 6, 2020
Let me know how it goes - I have to admit, this is kind of baffling.

I guess it just might be that the GPU is dying, but I couldn't say for sure. I suppose if you have another PC to test it in, you could try out the video card in another system and see if it behaves itself there, just to see if it's maybe a dying GPU, or instead something specific to that older PC.

Yeah it's kinda weird why it not working with the driver installation.

Now with the driver installation of Windows it freezes after one flash of the screen on the black screen without cursor. Keyboard weirdly also freezes, no light changing when pressing NumLock and Caps. Can hear the HDD still being active and see the Led flicker.
I'll let it run for a couple of hours maybe it recovers itself.

I'll keep you up to date.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm not sure it will necessarily reveal anything, but I think trying to do a complete wipe and clean install of Windows 10 with the card installed, and then nothing else, to see what happens, could give us a bit of a hint.

Or maybe I'm just desperately hoping for a clue. :eek:

Apr 6, 2020
I'm not sure it will necessarily reveal anything, but I think trying to do a complete wipe and clean install of Windows 10 with the card installed, and then nothing else, to see what happens, could give us a bit of a hint.

Or maybe I'm just desperately hoping for a clue. :eek:

I'm getting an SSD tomorrow, i wil do a clean install on that one.

What also can be the issue, this HDD is 5400rpm and the usage spikes a lot of times to 100%. Maybe while installing the driver it uses so much, even if it is for just a second, it skips a part and the driver is incomplete.

i'm not sure, just an idea. Just want to know it so bad.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I think that's unlikely to be the case. A PC I had at work DID run into a similar issue, but not because the HDD was slow.

It was just fine, and then one day, some software started inexplicably taking longer to load. Then longer still, etc. Eventually some programs would either quietly do nothing, or would crash, because the HDD was having so much trouble loading.

However, it was well beyond the normal "slowness" of a properly working 5400rpm drive. It was dying, but just taking its time about it.

Reactions: @JWAY
Apr 6, 2020
I think that's unlikely to be the case. A PC I had at work DID run into a similar issue, but not because the HDD was slow.

It was just fine, and then one day, some software started inexplicably taking longer to load. Then longer still, etc. Eventually some programs would either quietly do nothing, or would crash, because the HDD was having so much trouble loading.

However, it was well beyond the normal "slowness" of a properly working 5400rpm drive. It was dying, but just taking its time about it.

Yeah you right, i think its a little bit far fetched with the HDD in my case, but i'm doing a clean install on a 7200rpm HDD now. Curious how thats gonna end.

Reactions: King_V
Apr 6, 2020
Clean installation of Windows with GPU didn't work either.

Difference between the Windows drivers and AMD drivers are, Windows driver just stuck on black screen, which seems like to take forever. The AMD driver stuck on black screen for 10 sec and then reboots.

I have no clue what it possibly can be.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I know this is going to sound stupid, but: When you installed the GPU, you plugged the monitor into the GPU's video output, rather than the motherboard's video output, right?

Assuming you did, then, does the 6850 have multiple outputs? Can you try a different cable, or using HDMI instead of DVI (or vice-versa), etc? The only reason I suggest this is because my brother has an R9 390, and after a couple of years, the HDMI port went bad, but the Display Port is still fine, so he just switched to using Display Port.

Apr 6, 2020
I know this is going to sound stupid, but: When you installed the GPU, you plugged the monitor into the GPU's video output, rather than the motherboard's video output, right?

Assuming you did, then, does the 6850 have multiple outputs? Can you try a different cable, or using HDMI instead of DVI (or vice-versa), etc? The only reason I suggest this is because my brother has an R9 390, and after a couple of years, the HDMI port went bad, but the Display Port is still fine, so he just switched to using Display Port.

Yea did that, tried the Display Port and HDMI port, both getting black screen during install. But only on the Display Port i'll get full screen. With HDMI i get black bars on all sides.

Just found out that the GPU is getting very hot right behind the Video Outputs, so hot i can burn my fingers, seems not legit.

Maybe i can try it with the DVI Outputs.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
That sounds bad - either something is wrong with the card, or something isn't quite seated right after you reapplied the thermal paste to the GPU and remounted the GPU's cooler. It should NOT be getting that hot. That could be why it's blanking out, trying to prevent itself from dying from overheating.

Apr 6, 2020
That sounds bad - either something is wrong with the card, or something isn't quite seated right after you reapplied the thermal paste to the GPU and remounted the GPU's cooler. It should NOT be getting that hot. That could be why it's blanking out, trying to prevent itself from dying from overheating.

It can be the thermal paste, but before i did that it also black screened. And its only the front end of the card. I'll check it tomorrow.

Apr 6, 2020
I'm getting BSOD errors now, after i rebooted the pc when it black screened.

the operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors

amdkmpfd.sys

error-0xc000007b
error-0x0000428