Sapphire Radeon hd 7770 Ghz edition with 2 minidp 1 hdmi and 1 dvi

spherepres

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I am trying to run 3 monitors using this card. The hardware I thought would do the trick is as follows:

3 Toshiba 24" tvs with VGA and HDMI ports.
3 HDMI cables
2 Mini DP to HDMI cables
1 DVI to VGA converter
1 VGA cable

Can someone please recommend the scenario where I get all three working with the best possible display resolution. Please don't shy away from additional hardware if it will mean all HDMI in the end.

what you have won't work. You need ACTIVE display port adapters and there are no active display port to hdmi adapters to my knowledge. And why aren't you using the HDMI or DVI ports???

Use the HDMI port, a DVI to HDMI adapter, and an ACTIVE mini displayport to DVI adapter WITH a DVI to HDMI adapter

spherepres

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I was not using that because I was under the impression that the 2 DP to HDMI converters would just allow HDMI connections as if they were Native HDMI ports.

I have 2 DP ports. Why wont the standard DP to HDMI adapters work?

Only 2 "native" DVI/HDMI connections normally exist on AMD cards(DVI/HDMI are the same signal). These use a clock signal. They are "shared" between all the Ports. So a passive MDP to HDMI cable DOES work(it just passess the signal thorough). BUT uses one of those 2 clock signals.

The third monitor must ALWAYS use an active display port adapter. This is because display port does not natively use a clock signal and the adapter has to be able to add one to covert the signal to DVI/HDMI as the other two are already used

As I said you have to use an active MDP to DVI, then a simple DVI to HDMI(same signal just different plug) because there are no active MDP to HDMI adapters (there is a coming soon section on AMDs site now, but still no adapter yet) . probably because people running multiple monitors almost always use DVI instead of low end monitors/HDMI which is really for TVs. But simple to convert anyway. So no big deal.

Active mini display port to single link DVI
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200944

DVI to HDMI
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882021060

spherepres

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
unksol,

Thanks very much for your patience and understanding. It was not what I wanted to hear but I guess I am waiting for the active MDP to HDMI since I am done buying hardware for this to happen at least for now.

Have a great day!

TRENDING THREADS