Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-x Vapor-X OC screen flickering and weird artifacts, help

code99cc

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Hello everyone,

I have a brand new Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-x Vapor-X OC graphics card (well, its "new", 2-3 months old at the most) and ive been having some issues with it (or maybe its not the card fault).

Im in the process of building a new gaming rig but due to lack of funds im unable to buy the whole system all at once so im buying it piece by piece. I started with the GPU and a PSU (I had to get a new gpu since my old one died) and installed both in my old system.

At first, the only issue i had (and was unable to find a solution) was that there was a 50/50 chance that when i powered up the system, my monitor wouldnt receive a signal. A restart would fix this most of the time.
Everything else worked fine.

However, after a while my screen would flicker (mostly while playing EveOnline), some hud elements would disappear entirely or wouldnt work correctly (as far as i could tell, it wasnt a game bug). Yestarday, I left my computer overnight for some downloads i had going and in the morning when i turned on my monitor, my screen would flicker and be filled with strange artifacts. Like, incomplete horizontal thick lines.
The flickering and artifacts stopped appearing if i for example pressed right click to open the context menu and resumed after i closed that.

A restart fixed that. I was running windows 8.1 yestarday and tbh ive had problems with it lately, kept getting bsods (KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE).
Today i've installed a stable win 7 that i had used for years before. So far no problems.

What do you make of this?
Is it my graphics card? How about OS i had?
Can it be my motherboard or some other component from my system? My motherboard is rather old and crappy. It only holds ddr2 rams and has 2 pcie 2.0 slots, my card being a pcie 3.0.

The PSU is EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2, ATX, 750W, Modular so i dont think its the fault, and its brand new too.

Pleas help if you can, this issue is driving me nuts and i would like to find out if its the card so i can then request a new one as per warranty, if thats even possible.

Thanks!

kwa-e

Admirable

code99cc

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

Im sorry but i have since completed my new rig (as per my initial post, i was in the process of building a new rig). I never did find a solution to it tho.

I however havent had any issues after the upgrade.

However, i do know of an issue similar to this caused by Wattman app from AMD (it comes installed by default with your drivers).
Google it and see if it matches your issue.