Sapphire Radeon VII Listing Reveals Upcoming Card's Memory Speed, Power Consumption

Aug 4, 2018
Underwhelmed at best. Navi might be great but I'm not waiting so jumping the gun on a rtx 2080 for 730 Euros rather have lower power consumption and potential for dlss and raytracing than only have rastarization for the same price

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014

You might want to ask a fellow RTX owner how it is going. "Potential". No ray tracing that you'll want to turn on, and no games with DLSS enabled that you'll want to turn on. Also the only reason why games at 4k don't use over 8GB is automatic memory restrictions.

Aug 4, 2018
Potential is still better than no potential at all. Also having gimmicks if that's what u want to call it is also still better than no gimmicks. 8gb will be fine for the coming years and 4k is not a viable resolution for the 2080 or radeon 7 as performance is not their so unless you lower settings (which will lower vram usage anyway) there is no problem at all and the few games that use more than 8gbs are not even the games I play not are they optimized very well imo tho I just think the 2080 is more value (still bad value) than the radeon 7 my opinion tho yours may differ

Navi isn't even designed to compete that high in the graphics cards tier. It's supposed to be in the low to mid-range market. At best, performance will make it up to the Gtx1080/RTX2070/Vega64 level. So there's no point in waiting for anything, if you're shopping at a higher tier than that.

Jan 24, 2019
Who says power consumption sux? Did they not demo against RTX cards showing lower power consumption for same tasks?

Krazie_Ivan

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
for a last-minute stop-gap card that AMD is losing money on w/o even competing at the highest-end, it sure looks slick with the brushed metal & clean/sharp lines on every side. not that looks are the most important thing... hopefully it runs far cooler with that new tri-fan vertical-dissipation HSF, & (supposed/pre-review sample) lower power consumption.

still, i'll be waiting for an affordable card (till the end of time? :( ) to replace my 970 hand-me-down. $250 Navi vs 2070 rumor pls be true! lol

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

This is something I've heard/read people saying a few times, both for VII and Vega56/64, but I've never found whether it's actually true or not.

Any references or anything that can confirm this?

Jan 26, 2019
Hey King, the only reference where that came from is here:

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-mike-rayfield-amd-retires/

Where, a month ago, he left the company but was quoted saying this,

"He presented suggestions that werent really feasible such as ‘Radeon VII ‘ which was to be a Vega 20 based consumer facing part that cost $750 to build and would barely tie in with an [NVIDIA] GTX 1080 Ti."

So if the card's recommended retail price is $699 then AMD are losing, on average, fifty dollars a card.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hmm, I'd not heard it on VII, only previously about 56 and 64, so this one's news to me.

Though, I can't imagine AMD bothering with this if it was a case of losing money on it.

That said, I tend to be dubious when it comes out to a he-said/she-said thing (though it's not clear WHICH part of Rayfield's statement, or the whole thing, that they deny).

TRENDING THREADS