News Sapphire Rapids HBM2E CPUs Fall Behind EPYC 3D V-Cache CPUs In Leaked Benchmarks

Lorien Silmaril

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
Intel fans kept saying Intel took back performance crown with ADL but I feel like Intel just pushed power up once again as they have always done.

I find comparisons between ADL and Zen 3 much more telling in power-constrained scenarios such as mobile or data center usage; here performance gaps are much more muted, if non-existent.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Intel fans kept saying Intel took back performance crown with ADL but I feel like Intel just pushed power up once again as they have always done.

I find comparisons between ADL and Zen 3 much more telling in power-constrained scenarios such as mobile or data center usage; here performance gaps are much more muted, if non-existent.
Intel made a new arch. Sapphire Rapids isn't just Skylake with increased clocks. Also Golden Cove cores are fairly thirsty with stress test type parallel loads. Less so with random serial loads, which they are made to do well with. Alder also have E-cores which will come out in sever with Sierra Forest which will aim for high density, high efficiency parallel loads.

Reactions: KyaraM

drajitsh

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2016
Intel diamond rapids will bring you breakfast in bed and massage your feet, and walk your dog.
They will be released in H2 2023. They will use socket 99999 and 4000w TDP.
Sorry, delayed to end 2023.
Sorry, delayed to q2 2024
Sorry, delayed to end 2024
Sorry, delayed to
Sorry, sorry, sorry.
Why do I the feeling saphhire rapids was never intended for 2022 launch and was merely announced to decrease AMD sales.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Intel made a new arch. Sapphire Rapids isn't just Skylake with increased clocks. Also Golden Cove cores are fairly thirsty with stress test type parallel loads. Less so with random serial loads, which they are made to do well with. Alder also have E-cores which will come out in sever with Sierra Forest which will aim for high density, high efficiency parallel loads.
Intel's strategy of winning the performance crown comes at the expense of power, at least I can say this for the recent 3 generations of Intel CPU. For enthusiasts looking for the cutting edge performance, the high power requirement is a non-issue. But you can clearly see this strategy don't work well in the mobile (laptop) and enterprise/ data center space. Where it is power constrained, Zen 3 may lose out in single core performance, but can do well in multi core/ threaded situations. But it boils down to the application.

semitope

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006

and now zen 4 pushes the power up. it's the tactic this time around

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Why do I the feeling saphhire rapids was never intended for 2022 launch and was merely announced to decrease AMD sales.
AMD has been able to set their price and their adoption/growth appears to solely be limited by supply. Businesses sticking with Intel are doing so out of custom accelerators/packages or due to stronger supply chain(They can get servers when they need them). Otherwise AMD is taking lots of market share away. Look at earnings, and look at reports of marketshare growth. People believe results not promises.