[SOLVED] Sapphire RX 5700 XT Running hot?

zxvipers

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2016
Literally today (18/09/19) I bought this GPU, seemed fine maybe a little loud, however, even on csgo the gpu usuage would fluxuate between 60% and 99% and the temperatures were at 70-75 degrees celsius. The GPU is currently idling at around 50 degrees too, seems a little hot, what do you guys think?
Edit:
I returned that GPU as the hotspot temperatures were reaching around 105c on pubg, and the normal temp was at 85c, I feel like this is really hot for a three fan gpu. This is even on the new gpu i bought today(19/09/19) as I returned the other one, both of the GPUs are very hot and making the inside of my case really hot too.
RX 5700 XT Nitro+
i5 8600k
msi gaming pro carbon z370
DDR4 3200Mhz CL14

Solution
I thought that the 5700/5700XT used an array of temps that were closer to their designated points than the old way. So, that 110 degrees, for example, may not actually be hotter overall than the 90 degrees as measured from the earlier temp sensor setups.

I'm a little out of my element on the details of this, though.

Still, I'm surprised you're having noise and temperature issues, considering that the Tom's Hardware Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT review praised the card for its cooler temperatures and quieter running, despite drawing more power than the reference 5700 XT (slight overclock is why, I think).

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Literally today (18/09/19) I bought this GPU, seemed fine maybe a little loud, however, even on csgo the gpu usuage would fluxuate between 60% and 99% and the temperatures were at 70-75 degrees celsius. The GPU is currently idling at around 50 degrees too, seems a little hot, what do you guys think?
Edit:
I returned that GPU as the hotspot temperatures were reaching around 105c on pubg, and the normal temp was at 85c, I feel like this is really hot for a three fan gpu. This is even on the new gpu i bought today(19/09/19) as I returned the other one, both of the GPUs are very hot and making the inside of my case really hot too.
RX 5700 XT Nitro+
i5 8600k
msi gaming pro carbon z370
DDR4 3200Mhz CL14

Yep. One of the downsides to the 5700 line is that they are space heaters lol.. Still, 3 fans would make you think it'd run at least a little cooler. Did you have any fan control software installed, such as MSI Afterburner or EVGA X1? (Doesn't matter if your card is a Sapphire brand or not) I'd be curious as to the temps if the fans were at 100% also since Sapphire is kinda known for their good cooling.

Reactions: zxvipers

zxvipers

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2016
Yep. One of the downsides to the 5700 line is that they are space heaters lol.. Still, 3 fans would make you think it'd run at least a little cooler. Did you have any fan control software installed, such as MSI Afterburner or EVGA X1? (Doesn't matter if your card is a Sapphire brand or not) I'd be curious as to the temps if the fans were at 100% also since Sapphire is kinda known for their good cooling.
I've been using MSI Afterburner and Sapphire's own TriXX or something, the fans dont actually come on until 50c and they werent at full throttle but they were loud. So would you say that those temperatures are safe for this GPU?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I've been using MSI Afterburner and Sapphire's own TriXX or something, the fans dont actually come on until 50c and they werent at full throttle but they were loud. So would you say that those temperatures are safe for this GPU?

From what I read, up to 110c is considered within specs. :( Seems awfully warm to me, but I am just used to my much cooler running 1060 which doesn't hit 50c even after hrs of gaming.

Here is a good read about the 5700 temps.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think those temps are necessarily anything to be alarmed about. If you want it to be cooler, did you try adjusting the fan profile?

Also, how much the card heats up your case is just a function of how much power the card is drawing. The GPU temp doesn't matter. What case, and how many case fans?

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I thought that the 5700/5700XT used an array of temps that were closer to their designated points than the old way. So, that 110 degrees, for example, may not actually be hotter overall than the 90 degrees as measured from the earlier temp sensor setups.

Still, I'm surprised you're having noise and temperature issues, considering that the Tom's Hardware Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT review praised the card for its cooler temperatures and quieter running, despite drawing more power than the reference 5700 XT (slight overclock is why, I think).

Solution

zxvipers

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2016

To be honest, it was my mistake I had the fans stock and left them and it was fine with my old 1060, but this is a beefier card so I swapped around the fans on my radiator and the exhaust and others so that the air flows betfer and the card is really good now, it doesn't even turn the fans on until 50c and its pretty quiet overall.

Reactions: King_V