Question Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB need both 8pin and 6pin Pcie connectors?

Issue Games

Honorable
Jul 26, 2015
First things first my specs are
i5 8400
Gigabyte h310 mobo
Corsair vengeance 16gb ddr4
1TB HDD
And my PSU is Antec TruePower 550watts 80+ bronze
I recently bought Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB but the problem is my PSU only has one 8pin(6+2) connector to power my GPU while the GPU has another port for 6pin too..It runs fine but sometimes pc crashes during heavy gaming..since I'm out of budget I cant buy new PSU but fortunately my PSU is semi-modular and allows to connect another 8pin cable on 12v rail for my GPU..but I lost the original modular cables that the gpu came with.. so Im looking for a 8pin to 6pin cable to connect to the 2nd 6pin port on my gpu..where can I find such cable..
Sorry for my bad english Look at the picture below for better understanding.

https://ibb.co/pyc8YVY

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
The power supply isn't something that you want to just "rig something together and hope it works". That is a quick way to fry your power supply and any components attached to it. You really should find another Antec TruePower 550 (possibly one that's failed) and see if you can get that unit's PCIE cable. Otherwise, I'd be looking for a new power supply.

-Wolf sends

Issue Games

Honorable
Jul 26, 2015
The power supply isn't something that you want to just "rig something together and hope it works". That is a quick way to fry your power supply and any components attached to it. You really should find another Antec TruePower 550 (possibly one that's failed) and see if you can get that unit's PCIE cable. Otherwise, I'd be looking for a new power supply.

-Wolf sends
Im currently low on budget so I cant buy new PSU atm... PC components prices are touching the sky in 3rd world countries due to lockdown. However, I contacted a local seller and hes got corsair's modular pcie cable that he will sell to me I'll attach pictures below.

(I asked him why the two tubes have no pins he said your PSU won't need it as its clear in the PSU's modular label showing the first two pins greyed out)

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
Pakistan
https://www.daraz.pk/products/psugp...0e.searchlist.list.32.33635a9exFOBt2&search=1

You just need those cables.. there alot of them..

So you have 8pin GPU Power Connected?
You need a 6pin GPU ? This one can work.
https://www.daraz.pk/products/15pin...a0e.searchlist.list.6.45541563z81UT0&search=1

8pin from PSU provide 150w.
Motherboard provide 75w on PCIE Slot
1x Sata to PCIE cables provide 54w
--------------------------------------
So if you lack PSU Cables for your 2nd gpu power. You can use sata to pcie just fine.. Or you can buy 2x Sata to Pcie to give you 108w.

Last edited:

Issue Games

Honorable
Jul 26, 2015
Pakistan
https://www.daraz.pk/products/psugp...0e.searchlist.list.32.33635a9exFOBt2&search=1

You just need those cables.. there alot of them..

So you have 8pin GPU Power Connected?
You need a 6pin GPU ? This one can work.
https://www.daraz.pk/products/15pin...a0e.searchlist.list.6.45541563z81UT0&search=1

8pin from PSU provide 150w.
Motherboard provide 75w on PCIE Slot
1x Sata to PCIE cables provide 54w
--------------------------------------
So if you lack PSU Cables for your 2nd gpu power. You can use sata to pcie just fine.. Or you can buy 2x Sata to Pcie to give you 108w.
The SATA to 8pin costs 1dollar... weirdly cheap af..So Im not sure if these converters can be trusted
And the PSU/GPU Breakout Board costs somewhat 54dollars which I dont want to spend on a single cable..one can get a decent PSU for that price but unfortunately, prices are so high and out of stock due to lockdown..also i have low budget atm..
Can you check my reply above your comment do u think that corsair modular pcie cable is safe to use on my PSU?
Thank you for your response )

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
The SATA to 8pin costs 1dollar... weirdly cheap af..So Im not sure if these converters can be trusted
And the PSU/GPU Breakout Board costs somewhat 54dollars which I dont want to spend on a single cable..one can get a decent PSU for that price but unfortunately, prices are so high and out of stock due to lockdown..also i have low budget atm..
Can you check my reply above your comment do u think that corsair modular pcie cable is safe to use on my PSU?
Thank you for your response )

the Satan to pcie are cheap.. even in India or Pakistan or China. Cuz mostly all psu cables/adapter are made in 3rd world country.

the board r expensive but you just need those cables, not the board.

Issue Games

Honorable
Jul 26, 2015
the Satan to pcie are cheap.. even in India or Pakistan or China. Cuz mostly all psu cables/adapter are made in 3rd world country.

the board r expensive but you just need those cables, not the board.
I'll try to contact the seller and ask if he sells the cables only.. also wouldn't this cable work?

It looks the same as those that come with the board that you posted..