Question Sapphire RX 590 SE: Games crashing after wattman issue ?

May 25, 2021
Hello fellas.I have problem since ı have this card.My computer will crash in 15-40min at the games. Games freezing after black screen and 1-2 min later ı am returning my desktop. Temperatures is fine.I tried everything basically.

I tried :
-DDU staff and reinstall WHQL graphics card driver
-I tested my rams with memtest86 ( Everythings is fine no error)
-Completely I did reset my pc (reinstall win10)
-İncrease power limit decrease power limit staff
-I disabled the fast startup
-Gpu temperatures (70-80 at games)
-I updated my bios

I set mhz 1560 to 1540 it worked for a while but ı wanna play with full performance. Can you help me guys ? Thanks
Some people have the same card but they dont have any problem.

ryzen 5 2600
sharkoon 650 watt+plus80
xpg 2*8 3000mhz ram
b450m H ultra durable

If your temps are good I would be looking at the power supply.
You can check the voltages with HWInfo.
You want them within 5% of +12, +5 and +3.3V under load as well as at idle.
Many times you can see the voltages go out of spec before the crash.
If you can't....you can log the voltages to a file and look at them after the crash.

Reactions: bogisama
May 25, 2021
If your temps are good I would be looking at the power supply.
You can check the voltages with HWInfo.
You want them within 5% of +12, +5 and +3.3V under load as well as at idle.
Many times you can see the voltages go out of spec before the crash.
If you can't....you can log the voltages to a file and look at them after the crash.
but is 650 watt psu enough for my system ?
and some people said this is sapphire overclock problem.They overclocking too much.Because of that card doesnt work stable

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
12 V Rail(s):1
Load 3.3 V: 20A
Load 5 V: 20A
Max. Combined Power 3.3 V + 5 V: 120W
Load 12 V1: 50A
Max. Combined Power 12 V: 600W
Load 5 VSB: 2.5 A
Load -12 V: 0.3 A

You don't have a 650w psu. You have a 450w at best psu, that peaks at 600w. If that's the SHP 650w 80+.

Its not just the wattage size (claimed) of the psu, it's all about the psu ability to provide the claimed wattage, and that Sharkoon pretty much fails. The Rx series is known for its intermittent spikes, and is hard on pcie sockets. If the psu is supplying enough 'dirty' power to the pc, everything is going to not only possibly run hotter than it should, voltages are also going to be all over the place.

5v at 20A =100w, 3.3v at 20A = 61w, yet combined total is only 120w, just 10w higher than the 550w psu with 18/18A on those rails.

Sorry, but given the circumstances, I'm betting the psu is the culprit.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Pretty much what Karadjgne said. Watts are pretty much just a number (ESPECIALLY if you got a cheap psu). You guys need to start to look at the quality of the psu (ampere it delivers at the 3 rails, especially on the 12v) and which OEM they're based on.

May 25, 2021

You don't have a 650w psu. You have a 450w at best psu, that peaks at 600w. If that's the SHP 650w 80+.

Its not just the wattage size (claimed) of the psu, it's all about the psu ability to provide the claimed wattage, and that Sharkoon pretty much fails. The Rx series is known for its intermittent spikes, and is hard on pcie sockets. If the psu is supplying enough 'dirty' power to the pc, everything is going to not only possibly run hotter than it should, voltages are also going to be all over the place.

5v at 20A =100w, 3.3v at 20A = 61w, yet combined total is only 120w, just 10w higher than the 550w psu with 18/18A on those rails.

But when ı decrease the mhz (1560 to1540) its gonna be fine ? İs not a overclock problem ? Some people has a good psu but they have still same problem

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's not just a single issue. Different gpus can have the same issue for different reasons. Yes, there are times when the cheaper silicon that gets used by many of the 2nd tier OEMs like Sapphire can fail, almost all of those are nvidia/amd built reference pcbs that the OEMs then OC. So it's possible that the OC can become unstable and require downclocking.

But things like that don't usually happen on their own. Most times it's the bad voltage outputs from a psu that wears away on the silicon like sandpaper. DC voltage is supposed to be a flat, straight line and that's what components prefer. When you start getting 50mv and higher 'bounces' between highs and lows, instead of a nice even push, the voltage is hitting the components like a high speed hammer-drill.

And that doesn't just affect gpus. It affects the usable physical lifespan of every component from the cpu to the motherboard to your ram.

You have 3 choices.
  1. Live with the downclocks and hope that's the end of the issues, you honestly aren't really losing any noticeable performance, maybe 1fps if lucky.
  2. RMA the gpu. Whether by vendor or more likely at this point, Sapphire directly, if it's still covered.
  3. Replace the psu and hope that whatever damage was visible, isn't a permanent issue, but just a temporary issue due to dirty power creating instability.

May 25, 2021
There's not just a single issue. Different gpus can have the same issue for different reasons. Yes, there are times when the cheaper silicon that gets used by many of the 2nd tier OEMs like Sapphire can fail, almost all of those are nvidia/amd built reference pcbs that the OEMs then OC. So it's possible that the OC can become unstable and require downclocking.

But things like that don't usually happen on their own. Most times it's the bad voltage outputs from a psu that wears away on the silicon like sandpaper. DC voltage is supposed to be a flat, straight line and that's what components prefer. When you start getting 50mv and higher 'bounces' between highs and lows, instead of a nice even push, the voltage is hitting the components like a high speed hammer-drill.

And that doesn't just affect gpus. It affects the usable physical lifespan of every component from the cpu to the motherboard to your ram.

You have 3 choices.
  1. Live with the downclocks and hope that's the end of the issues, you honestly aren't really losing any noticeable performance, maybe 1fps if lucky.
  2. RMA the gpu. Whether by vendor or more likely at this point, Sapphire directly, if it's still covered.
  3. Replace the psu and hope that whatever damage was visible, isn't a permanent issue, but just a temporary issue due to dirty power creating instability.
I see.I live with downclocks ı think.But thanks for taking time.Really helped me.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
Before you return your GPU. Please return your PSU or order a better one. I had a VERY similar problem and it ended up being the PSU, even after i replaced it! ( i was unlucky enough to get a dud corsair PSU) so 2x PSU replaced and finally with my EVGA power supply my card actually runs. So do yourself a favour and please look into your PSU before RMAing your card.

May 25, 2021
Before you return your GPU. Please return your PSU or order a better one. I had a VERY similar problem and it ended up being the PSU, even after i replaced it! ( i was unlucky enough to get a dud corsair PSU) so 2x PSU replaced and finally with my EVGA power supply my card actually runs. So do yourself a favour and please look into your PSU before RMAing your card.
I cant RMA my card. And Psu s too expensive for me(Turkish economy) .I have to live with downclock for now.

Reactions: spentshells

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
I had many people tell me to return my card or tell me my mother board was at fault. Luckily the PSU is one of the cheaper components. So DEFINITELY order a new unit. If possible.

EDIT: saw your new message.

I understand that but unfortunately sounds like your PSU just isnt up to it, you could get another small one from somewhere to run your CPU and main board. Then use another to feed the external GPU power supply. Try Ex office power supplies that are ATX compatible. Hopefully you can find a second hand one.

Before anyone flames me for mentioning this. At least I am giving him options.

May 25, 2021
I had many people tell me to return my card or tell me my mother board was at fault. Luckily the PSU is one of the cheaper components. So DEFINITELY order a new unit. If possible.

EDIT: saw your new message.

I understand that but unfortunately sounds like your PSU just isnt up to it, you could get another small one from somewhere to run your CPU and main board. Then use another to feed the external GPU power supply. Try Ex office power supplies that are ATX compatible. Hopefully you can find a second hand one.

Before anyone flames me for mentioning this. At least I am giving him options.
Thank you. I'll think about it.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
You don't even need ATX compatible PSUs. It's just a format. You could use molex to 4 pin/6pin. If your PSU is struggling and you have to downclock you are effectively kicking your graphics card in ^%&$'s really hard. Your system with always be very unstable also.

May 25, 2021
You don't even need ATX compatible PSUs. It's just a format. You could use molex to 4 pin/6pin. If your PSU is struggling and you have to downclock you are effectively kicking your graphics card in ^%&$'s really hard. Your system with always be very unstable also.
I didnt quite understand.How Downclocking is kicking my card ?

May 25, 2021

dude ı bought new psu cooler master mwe 650 watt 80 bronze but it didn't work out :( I thing this is a sapphire overclocking problem

Mar 29, 2021
I have the same issue that started 6 months ago. Also have cheap 650w PSU, so I'm very saddened to see that changing PSU didn't fix your issue man. I'll watch this thread in hope that someone will come up with a solution. It's getting unbearable.

TRENDING THREADS