Sapphire Starts Building Compact AMD Embedded Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haravikk

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Hmmm.... that board looks like it doesn't actually have an APU on it. Am I missing something?
Maybe it's on the other side? At that size the board is pretty cramped after all.I'm very interested in these though; while Intel NUCs may be a bit more capable overall, they're very expensive for what you're getting. I've always liked AMD's APUs for the performance they give for the price, as I'd really love to get myself a tiny lightweight gaming machine, as I've never been too bothered about getting the latest games straight away.

lazacom

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Almost 100% on other side. I see 4 holes for mounting tiny cooler in middle of board and some capacitors and resistors in middle of that, which are needed by APU.

It also needs to include a couple of SATA ports, otherwise it will be limited to kiosks and other limited-function devices. Based on the performance of the A4-5000 in my new Thinkpad X140E though, this could be a very competent little box for many uses, even up to older or less demanding games. Hopefully the price will be right, and it will have those SATA ports.

tabascosauz

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Embedded stuff like AMD's new E8860 sound great for entry-level gaming, but what's the point if we're only going to get A4 or even inferior performance on the CPU side?

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Maybe I missed it, but it seems like they intentionally skipped over what type of CPU will be used. I like everything they are trying to fit on a 4" x 4" motherboard, but CPU specs are more important than what Graphics chip it uses. If you have Radeon HD 8000 series graphics with a single 1GHz CPU... you will have a computer that doesn't do much, but looks good doing it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS