News Sapphire Teases RX 7900 Vapor-X GPUs With Triple 8-Pin Connectors

MergleBergle

Prominent
Dec 1, 2022
"Unfortunately, this might confirm that AMD's Radeon 7000 series GPUs are incompatible with the 16-pin power connector since triple 8-pins are far bulkier than a single 16-pin."

Not sure how this is "unfortunate", since the 16 pin connector has been (relatively speaking) a complete disaster for the 4090.

Reactions: ddcservices
Sapphire already has plenty of experience with GPUs that have triple 8pins. My 6900XT and Vega64 (OC version) came with 3x8pins. Plus, the 6950X already draws around 400W, no?

While I kind of agree on the "just more than a vapour chamber" comment, I'll give Sapphire the full benefit of the doubt, as they've constantly produced the best AMD coolers to date, putting even Asus to their deserved shame on more expensive models.

Regards.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
"Unfortunately, this might confirm that AMD's Radeon 7000 series GPUs are incompatible with the 16-pin power connector since triple 8-pins are far bulkier than a single 16-pin."

Not sure how this is "unfortunate", since the 16 pin connector has been (relatively speaking) a complete disaster for the 4090.
I agree there is nothing wrong with the existing 8 pins PCI-E power. Sure they are bulky, but most people still uses a PSU that natively provides these 8 pins connectors. While it may make cabling difficult, but looking at the existing 16 pin connector, there seems to be restrictions as to how much you can bend, where should not start bending the cable, which honestly does not make cable routing any easier. So again, I don't see anything negative about it. Furthermore, there is very low risk of melting cables and connectors because you are not sure if you have properly connected the 16 pins connector. May be I am oversensitive, but I feel this statement in the article is very Nvidia biased.

Reactions: ddcservices

hannibal

Distinguished
So they are gonna OC these GPUs like there is no tomorrow!
These could give 4090 really run for the money for a speed (but also using electricity!)

Good that we also get normal versions with two 8 pin power connectors. Those will be cheaper and IMHO much more sensible in every other way too!

ddcservices

Honorable
Oct 12, 2017
AMD has been making an effort at efficiency in its designs, but at the high end, many people don't care about efficiency all that much. So, reference is two 8-pin power connectors, custom high-end will have three of those power connectors. If they put the power connectors on the top of the card, then length of the card is less of a problem than it is when the power connectors increase the effective length of the video card. There are a number of features in the Radeon Settings as well that will allow for adjustments to power draw and speeds.

I have the feeling that these Sapphire cards won't be using the brute force approach of just throwing larger cooling systems at the card, and due to a lot of the expense of these custom cards is the physical size and weight, vapor chamber might help in a number of ways. We will know next week.