Sapphire280x crashing when playing games

jimmyjules153

Reputable
May 17, 2014
Hey all,

Basically I just got two new Sapphire dual x r9 280x's and am running them in crossfire. I was previously running 2x HD6970's in crossfire and decided to upgrade. The 280x's are having serious issues when gaming, if the cards are at stock clock they will crash within several seconds of entering the game world, and sometimes crash the computer completely.. If I want to play a game like crysis 3 i need to turn down the clock from the default 1050 to 970 for the cards to not crash within the first few seconds. As you increase the Mhz more the games will last for less and less time. The cards never get time to overheat and the fans dont rev up during the first few seconds of gameplay so i don't think it's a temperature thing.. I've tried disabling crossfire and it still crashes and I have the latest drivers, i've tried both the ones from Sapphire and AMD with no avail.

Furmark can be run on the cards for the full benchmark process and the cards top out at 80 degrees then stop climbing (so well within operating range), and there are no crashes whatsoever, it seems only to be when im playing games.. I've also got a 1050W PSU powering it which was more than capable of running a 6970 so that should be more than enough for both of the new cards.

Does anyone know why this would be happening?

Regards,

Julian.

Solution
This sounds more like a problem in Crysis 3 than it has to do with Crossfire or the GPU itself. If it is crashing in the game then patch the game. If you are running benchmark programs and they work fine and past the test, then it is not the gpu.

Either reinstall and update to the latest catalyst 14.4 or patch crysis or reinstall crysis.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
This sounds more like a problem in Crysis 3 than it has to do with Crossfire or the GPU itself. If it is crashing in the game then patch the game. If you are running benchmark programs and they work fine and past the test, then it is not the gpu.

Either reinstall and update to the latest catalyst 14.4 or patch crysis or reinstall crysis.

Solution