• Find an incredible deal for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Share those epic bargains with the community by posting them in this forum thread!

Question Sar2 and sata3 cable questions

robertdonithan

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
Just supposing, i want to add a 3rd ssd in my dell optiplex9010. And then i want to switch the data input socket using the optical drive which is sata3 and use it to power my new 1-2tb ssd. Will that work?

Will it interfere with anything in the optical drive? I don't use it very much. And does the new 1-2tb ssd have to be sata3 to gain better function off of the sata 3 socket in the computer?

I mean can i use a sata2 1-2tb ssd and plug it into the computers' sata3 socket and gain more speed? How my computer is configured is 2 sata2 sockets and 2 sata3 sockets.

The sata three sockets are being used by the main drive and the optical drive.one sata2 socket is being use by an extra ssd.

One other question.Does Windoes10 Pro recognize storage ssd as high as 3tb. I heard where the computer has no limits to the amount of storage but Windows setting may not show how much storage used and storage left up to a certain amount.

<reformatted by Moderator for readability>

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Your Dell is a desktop?
How many SATA ports are on the motherboard?
What specific motherboard is it?

Assuming desktop:
You can disconnect the SATA cables from the optical drive and use it for a SATA SSD.

Any SSD sold in the last few years is SATA III, not SATA II.

SATA is forwards and backwards compatible, SATA I, II, III.
Speed, of course, depends on what is connected to what.

Win 10 Pro will absolutely recognize 3TB drives. Or larger.

Reactions: robertdonithan

popatim

Titan
Put the HDD & optical drive on Sata2 ports, they cannot use the full speed of Sata3
Put the SSD's on Sata3 ports though they will work fine on Sata2.

You may have to tell the bios which drive is the boot drive but usually they can detect it no matter which port it is on.

Reactions: robertdonithan

robertdonithan

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
Your Dell is a desktop?
How many SATA ports are on the motherboard?
What specific motherboard is it?

Assuming desktop:
You can disconnect the SATA cables from the optical drive and use it for a SATA SSD.

Any SSD sold in the last few years is SATA III, not SATA II.

SATA is forwards and backwards compatible, SATA I, II, III.
Speed, of course, depends on what is connected to what.

Win 10 Pro will absolutely recognize 3TB drives. Or larger.
It's a desktop with four sata ports --2 sata2 ports and 2 sata3 ports. I don't know about the motherboard.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS