Saran wrap on cell phones.

kkleuang

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
So I'm a germaphobe and before work i always wrap my Galaxy S6 in saran wrap to keep it clean and stuff so i dont' have to always wash my hands when I want to use my phone. I work at a grocery store and somtimes i touch dirty money and i don't want to get it on my phone and stuff. So is it safe to use saran wrap? and are there other alternatives i can do so don't freak out about it?

Solution

no, that is about the same thing as seran wrap (plastic) and maybe even worse for heat dissipation.
Probably one of the cases that an above poster posted is your best bet, or just Purell.
I would also advise against looking tacky to others, which you would to the vast majority of people.
Purell and Germ-X, acceptable; An enclosed case, acceptable; Plastic bags and seran wrap fit well with aluminum foil psychiatric patients.

LostAlone

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I guess your alternatives depend on exactly what kind of things set you off and if you need to be able to use your phone while it's wrapped.

The best answer I can see is something like an Otterbox or other ruggedised, totally enclosed case. That'll keep your phone safe and clean but still allow you to quickly check a message or whatever if that comes up.

Umm. Here's how I handle it. Anti-Bacterials kill 99.99% of the germs. The act of rubbing your hands together tears apart nearly as many percentage wise. Within 10 minutes of de-germing yourself, the germs that were left have repopulated your skin/phone/whatever. Germs/bacteria are everywhere, and here's the scary part, there are billions upon billions on your hands and phone and money and everything else. So many that the 0.01% that are left are still way in the millions. It gets worse, the ones that were left are the only ones to survive your trying to eradicate them, the strongest are the ones to survive, and those breed to make more, very very quickly. In your trying to be germ free you're helping to create superstrains of germs. It's not all bad news. Most of the germs that are on you/in you/on everything are harmless to humans. Not all germs are bad. Not all are good, but more good than bad, or rather, more not bad than bad. It sucks, but that's the way it is. I'm sorry but to live germ free you'd need to go to extreme lengths costing in the millions and there would still be germs, you *NEED* some of the better ones just to survive yourself, and there is no picking and choosing what you kill or don't kill.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
I understand your problem. I remember this gas station I used to go too... the guy that worked the counter ALWAYS wore latex gloves to protect his hands. That's one option for you.

Another option would be to get a headset to receive calls.

There are wipes for electronics to clean germs:
http://wirelesswipes.com/

I found a UV Cell Phone Sanitizer you could use:
http://www.amazon.com/Violife-UV-Cellphone-Sanitizer-14-Ounce/dp/B004164NZM

There is a Sanitizing Wand you could use around work:
http://www.verilux.com/uv-products/uvc-sanitizing-wand/

kkleuang

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014

what about a plastic bag?

kkleuang

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014

i normally when i get home from work or somewhere that i have touched my phone i use a warm damp napkin to wipe my phone and i use 91% iso alcohol to clean it. is that good for the device?

no, that is about the same thing as seran wrap (plastic) and maybe even worse for heat dissipation.
Probably one of the cases that an above poster posted is your best bet, or just Purell.
I would also advise against looking tacky to others, which you would to the vast majority of people.
Purell and Germ-X, acceptable; An enclosed case, acceptable; Plastic bags and seran wrap fit well with aluminum foil psychiatric patients.

Solution