[SOLVED] SAS card hardware compatibility

phaedarus

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Hi everyone,

I have a Smart Array E208E-P SR GEN10 SAS card that I'm trying to install for the purpose of hooking up a tape drive for my photography business.

The couple of PCs I have tried them on resulted in the inability by any of them to boot past the BIOS screen.

I think the problem lies with the fact that that consumer motherboards are not compatible with this card and therefore requires specific hardware such as the HP reliant servers. However, I'm not too keen on spending vast sums given that this is for a specific use case scenario. Can anyone suggest a minimum configuration that would work with the Smart Array card?

Looking up this information on the HPE website has been an exercise in frustration so I'm hoping the knowledgeable folks here can lend a hand to a non-network administrator like me.

Thanks!

Solution
I have too much data to make cloud backup practical; I am running out of USB ports to buy more usb drives; and I need something more reliable than HDDs for long term archival purposes.
Even tape is not "archival" in some ways. It doesn't protect against fire, water or theft. A media quality fire safe (expensive) could mitigate those shortcomings.
Archival backup requires 3 copies of every file, one of which is off-site.

kanewolf

Titan
I have too much data to make cloud backup practical; I am running out of USB ports to buy more usb drives; and I need something more reliable than HDDs for long term archival purposes.
Even tape is not "archival" in some ways. It doesn't protect against fire, water or theft. A media quality fire safe (expensive) could mitigate those shortcomings.
Archival backup requires 3 copies of every file, one of which is off-site.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS