SAS or SATA for music production?

theEmbark

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
I'm in the planning stages of building a NAS to store all of my music compositions. This will be a combination of .wav files and logic project files that will be modified in real time.

I don't know much about SAS and have been trying to educate myself more on it. For audio project files I really don't need a SSD but having a 15k drive would be nice over a 7.2k. My question is whether there is anything I need to be aware of with SAS other than drive speed? Will I actually get the 15k speed? I realize you get a little less storage but that's a small price for additional drive speed.

This being a NAS will I see speed difference between 7200 and 15k or will I just see the speed from the gigabit connection. I'd like to o 10gbe but not sure I can afford it at the time.

Basically will I get an improvement from using faster SAS drives or will it be the same speed as SATA in this case?

Thanks,
Kevin

Solution
SAS drives need a SAS controller to run so make sure to budget that into your build. Other than that there is no reason why they won't run at full speed for you.

Since you will be modifying projects over the network you may see a little speed difference however you are still limited by the speed of your network connection. TBH its not really worth it.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
SAS drives need a SAS controller to run so make sure to budget that into your build. Other than that there is no reason why they won't run at full speed for you.

Since you will be modifying projects over the network you may see a little speed difference however you are still limited by the speed of your network connection. TBH its not really worth it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS