SATA 1.5 HDD

Framps

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Hey guys,

I recently bought new computer parts (full). I saved up on the optical drive and HDD.

This is my first time so I am pretty bad with these. I have a SATA 1.5 HDD atm (Baracuda Seagate 7200). Can I connect that to my Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard? Just wondering if that will work or do I need to have a higher SATA HDD.

I've read around and seen people talking about RAID, if you guys could explain it as well, that will be great! Really appreciate it guys, thanks for reading.

Cheers

Framps

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Cheers for the reply! Another quick question, do you guys know where I can connect my optical drive to the Asrock Z77 Extreme 4? I took it out of my old mobo and it was using a long pci looking cable.

Code DVR - 109BK : Optical Drive

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
You've got an IDE (occasionally called PATA) drive. That interface was replaced by SATA almost ten years ago. Just buy a new SATA drive, they're cheap enough. You could also get a converter, but they aren't much cheaper than a new drive, and why bother recycling decade old hardware when you can spend another $10 and get something newer, faster and less likely to suddenly fail due to its age?

Framps

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Yep, will definitely do that. I actually managed to put my comp together without the optical drive. I'm currently in the Asrock UEFI setup. Do I need the optical drive to move on from here? I cant seem to exit the setup. Sorry, first timer, not too sure what to do

Framps

Honorable
May 17, 2012
yeah power cable is. could the hdds be faulty?

also, my cpu fan - coolermaster hyper 212 evo seems abit too loud for me, is that normal for it to be loud?

thanks for the quick replies

TRENDING THREADS