[SOLVED] SATA 15 Pin Male to 6 Pin PCI-Express

xmasholiday

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2013
So recently I upgraded me and my sons computer. So i had alot of extra parts left over, anyways I built my wife a computer from the left over parts.
she does not have a video card in her computer yet im trying to put one in hers without buying a new powersupply
she has a newer stock psu in it atm from a dell i7 4790 system hardly ever used almost new it has 450 watts anyways i was digging around my basement looking for an old video card and i came across a hd 7770 1ghz edition card and without buying a new psu i was gonna buy a
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Pin-SAT...793037?hash=item23d6836e4d:g:QEkAAOSw6DNceesp
Mind you in her computer i built she has no A: drive or cd-rom I didnt feel it was needed.
my question is would there be any reason as to why this wouldnt work.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
my question is would there be any reason as to why this wouldnt work.

Initially? Or safely & long-term?

Wire gauge, power draw etc would be the main reasons.
Not to mention, a "450W" unit without at least a single 6pin PCIe connector isn't a reliable "450W" unit.

IIRC, a SATA connector is spec'd for ~5A @ 12V, and is built accordingly.
An 8pin PCIe connector, by spec can pull 150W (12.5A), and even the 6pin (of a 6+2) can pull 75W (6.25A)

You don't need an adapter here..... You need a new PSU with appropriate connectors, or a GPU that can get it's power requirements from the PCIe slot.

USAFRet

Titan
will it work short-term 3-4 months at this point im kinda like rock this old hardware until the wheels fall off if it breaks it breaks no biggie lol
It might release the magic smoke the first time you turn it on.
Or the first time the GPU is stressed.

A low quality PSU might kill off other parts as it dies, not just itself or the associated GPU.

Reactions: Barty1884

xmasholiday

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2013
like i said were just having fun here I'll probably build my wife a real nice system later on
all the parts i have used to build it were used on other systems or given to me for free there just gonna end up staying in my basement until i throw them all away anways lol so i figure lets have some fun before that happens