SATA 2 & 3 Not showing in BIOS for Gigabyte X299 Designare EX Motherboard

Jun 14, 2018
I tried to connect a couple Samsung 860 EVO SSD drives to SATA 2 and SATA 3 on this motherboard. I also have SSD's connected to all the other Sata ports (0/1/4/5/6/7). There are a total of 8 SATA ports on the MB.

My issue is SATA 2/3 is not showing in BIOS when they are connected to the SATA 2/3, but all the other SATA ports are showing. I made sure the drives and cables are good, which they are because I reconnect them to other ports and they show up in the BIOS, just not SATA 2 and 3.

In the manual on page 34 I see that SATA 2/3 is controlled by ASMedia ASM1061 Chipset and SATA 0/1/4/5/6/7 is controlled by chipset X299 which would explain that I am only seeing these ports under the SATA configuration in the BIOS.

I don't understand why they would separate the SATA ports like this (needing different controllers).

Can someone please tell me or show me a link to what I need to hook up the remaining 2 SSD's to my PC? Does this mean I have to install a PCIe type card with the ASM1061 chip controller that has 2 SATA ports so I can connect my other 2 SSD's to it?

If this is the case, then would I have to connect the SATA cables from my SSD's to the 2 SATA ports on the PCIe card (ASM1061 chip controller) and then the PSU power connector to the SSDs?

If I do this, then I should see the SATA 2 and 3 in the BIOS?

I've never done this before and this is my first time with this motherboard and building a PC.

At first, I was thinking I might have a motherboard with bad SATA controllers, but I guess the SATA 2/3 are controlled by another chipset.

Can someone verify if I have the correct understanding, and maybe a link or two to the actual item I need to connect my other 2 SSDs to my new motherboard?

I need to use these other 2 SSD's for my application so I need all SATA ports on the MB to work.

1. "I don't understand why they would separate the SATA ports like this (needing different controllers)."

In order for this motherboard to support 8 Sata drives, it needs the extra ASMedia controller chip. The Intel chipset can only support up to 6 Sata drives, no more.

2. In your manual it states Sata ports 2 & 3 support AHCI mode only. Do you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS?

Jun 14, 2018

1. is the controller chip a PCIe card with 2 SATA ports on it? Will this controller chip be the same as the others in providing the same speed and quality through it? Can you post a link of a reliable controller that will work with my 2 2.5" Samsung 860 EVO SSD's?

2. Yes the AHCI is enabled in the BIOS. I am able to see SATA 0/1/4/5/6/7 peripherals connected.

If I use a PCIe card that you can put a 2.5" SSD drive on it, will that also affect any of the SATA ports or even other PCIe lanes? If so, how? I mean which will affect what? The chart in the manual (pg 36) is confusing and don't quite understand it.

Sorry for my lack of understanding.

1. The ASMedia controller chip is not a PCIe card, it is mounted on the motherboard right next to Sata ports 2 an 3, as shown on page 7 of your manual. Look in "Control Panel > Device Manager > Storage controllers", do you see "ASMedia Controller" listed?

You can add a PCIe controller card if you wish, i use one myself [Syba SI-PEX40057 Controller Card], but the on-board ASMedia chip does the same thing.

2. The chart on page 36 of the manual tells you that if you have either a Sata or PCIe NVME drive mounted in the 2nd, lower M.2 socket, Sata ports 4, 5, 6 and 7 will all be disabled. X in the chart means "Not available".

The PCIEX4_1 slot shares bandwidth with the M2M_32G connector. The PCIEX4_1
slot becomes unavailable when a device is installed in the M2M_32G connector

Jun 14, 2018

Hi Rocktalkrock,

1. I am not seeing ASMedia Controller listed under Storage Controllers. I just see "Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller". How do I enable the ASMedia controller or should it already be enabled when I have AHCI enabled? Would really like to use the remaining 2 SATA ports since that is available and this mobo isn't cheap. So I would like to use all of the available features of it before I start dumping more money into this PC build.

2. Looks like using the M2 onboard is going to hinder my storage needs even more. Disabling 4 SATA ports is a lot to sacrifice. I will just use PCIe SSD cards instead since they will probably run a little faster running straight through the PCIe lanes. Just want to make use of what is already on the MB as much as possible without going to external peripherals, at least for now.

1. There is nothing in the BIOS to enable the ASMedia chip so it should be working. Windows 10 must not have the driver. Go to your motherboards product page and download the driver under "Downloads > SATA RAID/AHCI > ASMedia SATA driver".

2. Controller cards are not very expensive. Make sure to buy a PCIe x2 card for the extra bandwidth, not a slower PCIe x1 card.

Jun 14, 2018

1. I downloaded the drivers like you requested and now they show in Storage controllers. I connected my SSD's back on SATA 2 and 3 and sure enough Windows 10 detected them! I can format them. Looks like I am back in business! The SATA 2 and 3 still do not show up in BIOS though, I'm not sure if they are supposed to or not. But since Windows 10 is detecting them that means I don't have any bad controllers or SATA ports after all.

2. As for PCIe, I'll probably add a PCIe x 4 for another SSD when needed. I won't be needing the ASM1061 card anymore.

Thanks RocktalkRock for all your awesome help and quick replies!