Sata 2 to Sata 3 Transfer Rate

jrk453

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Hello all,

I am currently transfering my Steam folder from my old sata 2 drive to a new Sata 3 WD velociraptor... Current transfer rate is 14m/s... understandabley for a 200+gig folder this is going to take too long... I have taken a screen shot of the transfer if it is needed... I formated the drive using some posts from another forum via disk management and using the new simple volume option... Now both my new drives have just said disconnected as I am typing this and the transfer has stopped... please help!!!

More information would be helpful. Which OS are you using? Do you have the bios set to use IDE or AHCI mode? What is the make/model of your motherboard?

My first assumption is that you have the BIOS set to IDE mode. If so, the drives may have reverted to PIO mode instead of DMA mode. If you are running XP, the fixit button here should correct it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472

You can also change the setting by:
a. Click on start.
b. Right-click on “Computer” and click on “Manage”
c. Click on “Device Manager”
d. Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
e. Right-click on any label where “Channel” is part of the name – Click on Properties
f. Go to the Advanced Settings tab, under Device Properties check “Enable DMA”

randombloke

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Are you doing a straight copy using the OS, or using the built-in Steam backup tool? Because the latter isn't just copying stuff; it's organising and compressing the data too.